Colorado

Hey y'all centennial backyard here. First time chicken owners with 4 blue laced red wyandottes and 3 white orpingtons. Just wanted to say hi to my fellow BYC coloradens.

Hi and welcome to the colorado thread. Im glad you found us. There is lots of knowledge and information here for the learning.
Happy Easter to all!

Last edited:
A little Easter treat for the girls. I went out with the mower and bagged a bunch of field grass. Got a huge pile in their run and boy oh boy they are in heaven!

Enjoying the rain for a change of pace - as opposed to snow.
Same here! Sounded like we got a lot but rain gauge says just under 1/4". Either way, happy to have it!

Hey y'all centennial backyard here. First time chicken owners with 4 blue laced red wyandottes and 3 white orpingtons. Just wanted to say hi to my fellow BYC coloradens.
Welcome!

A little Easter treat for the girls. I went out with the mower and bagged a bunch of field grass. Got a huge pile in their run and boy oh boy they are in heaven!
They are some happy ladies!

Hello all you Coloradoans!

I'm here in Colorado Springs, no chickens yet, but wanting some BAD! We are currently remodeling our house, working full time, and going to school, so haven't had time to build them a posh pad yet. Waiting to find the time to build them their mansion! I raised chickens, ducks, rabbits, cattle, hogs, and horses back home in farmland Iowa when I was young, and I miss it. I am soothing my inner farmer by growing a serious vegetable garden this year. You name it, I'm trying it. Except potatoes. That one slipped by me. :) Thinking about 4-5 hens, planning the coop and run, and finding a place for it. Maybe build this year in time for spring chicks next year! It's so good to hear from people that are making it work in their tiny yards! I've got a pretty good sized one, with mostly good neighbors, so that's a plus. :)

I've only seen one property that mentions mineral rights and it was only 25%. I would assume the builders that bought the land in Elizabeth and developed it or sold it kept the mineral rights for themselves. We will definitely plan to feed hay and supplement with any grasses we can manage to grow. The 10 acre property we were looking at was fully grass with no watering so it must be in the lower basin or something. It was gorgeous. But unfortunately the house just wasn't doable and they want too much for it to make replacing the house an option.
I've looked in Weld county as things pop up but there isn't a whole lot out there anywhere in our price range. It's tough. We may just put our house on the market and buy an RV to live in while we look for a place. I want this to be the last place we buy or sell. What a PIA all these real estate transactions are!

On a fun note. It was time for our first hatchlings to go outside. Had to take some pics...

Here is the little silkie that we hatched from Pozees eggs that was white with black chipmunk stripes when it hatched. It's getting black head feathers. Definitely a silver partridge, or maybe even closer to plain partridge. We'll see.

Our mystery chick that turned out to be a welsummer, stretching her wing. She loves to sit on top of the waterer. She is the most docile bird and lets the younger ones push her around.

Your Welsummer looks like she's getting her chakras centered with a little chicken yoga. She's holding her Dekasana Airplane pose nicely. :)

I'm here in Colorado Springs, no chickens yet, but wanting some BAD! We are currently remodeling our house, working full time, and going to school, so haven't had time to build them a posh pad yet. Waiting to find the time to build them their mansion! I raised chickens, ducks, rabbits, cattle, hogs, and horses back home in farmland Iowa when I was young, and I miss it. I am soothing my inner farmer by growing a serious vegetable garden this year. You name it, I'm trying it. Except potatoes. That one slipped by me. :) Thinking about 4-5 hens, planning the coop and run, and finding a place for it. Maybe build this year in time for spring chicks next year! It's so good to hear from people that are making it work in their tiny yards! I've got a pretty good sized one, with mostly good neighbors, so that's a plus. :)

You can plant potatoes in big bags or they sell potato growing bins - so it's not too late.

No need to wait until next spring. There are always tons of chickens on CL in the fall that people don't want to dink with in the winter. Often Easter pullets that have just started laying.

GQF sent me the replacement lid for the Genesis 1588, after the last defective one cooked my chicks. My hatch with the new unit was 36/45, 80%. Eggtopsy showed 5 fully developed chicks that never pipped, 1 that internally pipped but was very malpositioned, and 4 early quitters. It's so nice to have so much chirping on Easter Day.

Back
Top Bottom