Colorado

Which school are you at? Let's keep in touch, I may be interested in a duck!!

We are in Platt Park, just west of DU.
I am at Harrington, north of City Park. We won't be hatching many duck eggs, last year we only had two hatch, I will let you know what we get. They are Pekin.
Keep us posted on your chicks!

Hey friends,
This is my second year raising purchased chicks under a broody hen. I just waited til night and slipped them under her and she's been a great mom.

My flock was decimated last year by a day time fox attack, so this year I purchased 15 chicks. I put 9 under my broody, and 2 didn't make it. The rest of them I've got in my garage under a lamp. I lost 1 to Cocci (I think) this week, but they others are doing great (I'm doing a water/Corid 5 day treatment for the indoor flock to be safe).

After seeing both brooding methods at the same time, I'm absolutely convinced that the best way for the chicks is to be raised by a broody. Does anyone know if she will accept the chicks from the heat lamp if I do the same thing and put them under her tonight? They are 4 weeks, but that's the same age as my outdoor flock.

Total # of chicks is 12, 6 are polish (not quite bantams, but pretty small) the other 6 are regular size breeds.

Anyone ever tried it? Would love some advice!

I'm absolutely convinced that the best way for the chicks is to be raised by a broody. Does anyone know if she will accept the chicks from the heat lamp if I do the same thing and put them under her tonight? They are 4 weeks, but that's the same age as my outdoor flock.

Total # of chicks is 12, 6 are polish (not quite bantams, but pretty small) the other 6 are regular size breeds.

Hi Pennoppom
I am raising chicks right now too and I have too have always used a broody previous to this. Yes, you are right. Broody's are the way to go.
I have a friend who tried to graph chicks to a broody how already had chicks and it didn't work. I have also read that other people have had it work.. If it were me I would try to put them all in a new area that none of the chicks or broody have been and put in lots of food and just chuck everyone in together. I don't think broody's can count. It might work. THat or do the night drop and see if she takes them.
Let us know what you do and how it goes.
mo

A neighbors bear damage. It harvested all of the chickens that they had......

Oh how sad! Are they going to rebuild? I would be happy to give them some chicks if so.
Hi Pennoppom
I am raising chicks right now too and I have too have always used a broody previous to this. Yes, you are right. Broody's are the way to go.
I have a friend who tried to graph chicks to a broody how already had chicks and it didn't work. I have also read that other people have had it work.. If it were me I would try to put them all in a new area that none of the chicks or broody have been and put in lots of food and just chuck everyone in together. I don't think broody's can count. It might work. THat or do the night drop and see if she takes them.
Let us know what you do and how it goes.
mo
Since some have been treated with corid and some have not I don't think I would merge the two just yet. As far as whether she would accept them, some broodies will take any chicks of any age you give them, and some won't, they can be hard to predict. If you try it you will need to watch to be sure she doesn't peck them or refuse to keep them warm.

Hey friends,
This is my second year raising purchased chicks under a broody hen. I just waited til night and slipped them under her and she's been a great mom.

My flock was decimated last year by a day time fox attack, so this year I purchased 15 chicks. I put 9 under my broody, and 2 didn't make it. The rest of them I've got in my garage under a lamp. I lost 1 to Cocci (I think) this week, but they others are doing great (I'm doing a water/Corid 5 day treatment for the indoor flock to be safe).

After seeing both brooding methods at the same time, I'm absolutely convinced that the best way for the chicks is to be raised by a broody. Does anyone know if she will accept the chicks from the heat lamp if I do the same thing and put them under her tonight? They are 4 weeks, but that's the same age as my outdoor flock.

Maybe? At 4 weeks, the chicks will know that there are new chicks and have pecking order issues...... I don't think there is a real answer, just a maybe it will work.

As far as the bear, they did not have an electric fence that I know of and it seems to me that the bear knew exactly what was behind door number one. It wanted a chicken dinner- period! That is the part that I don't like. .

My husband and I noticed that there are more baby everything this spring, bunnies, birds, hawks, deer and all kinds of other things. We figured that all the rain last year was a huge help to the wildlife, dispite the fires. I'm amazed that that bear was so hungry he tore apart a house, I mean that building looks well built, so to me, it's a house. So sorry they have to deal with that.

Back
Top Bottom