Colorado

Local already raised and processed meats...
http://long-shadow-farm.blogspot.com/p/products.html

Meatie chicks can be ordered from almost all of the major hatcheries. This time of year there may be sales on some. I do not know of local RBs.
There may still be local DP chicks available.
I ordered my RB from Strombergs.

I am sure that there are more local people raising meat chickens, maybe check CL. I just have not paid any attention to that. Some of the Food Co-ops have meat options.

I just scald and pluck by hand. Big pot and a Cajun stove and a candy thermometer. 155 degrees works pretty well.... Of course the most I usually process in a season is 50 tops, usually 25.

Some more cell phone shots. It's thundering outside so ever time it clashes they run back under mom. I believe these are the cream legbars that have hatched, as those were the first eggs I put under her. One has a black spot on its head, which I believe makes it a female correct? The other one I haven't been able to get a good view of, but that's the fourth photo and it's the chick that's still under the wing looking up.

Last edited:
I would like to comment on the meatie discussion. We are at 6500+ ft elevation. We have raise Cornish x fast growers several times with good success. It does take a little adjustment in how they are fed and treated. They have to have a rest period between when they are fed so we feed once a day with what they will eat in 3-5 hours and then they don't get fed again until the next day. They must have water always and never run out. They cannot just be put out in a pen and free range as they will certainly die. They are also super messy and generally not love-able birds. I guess I would say it can be done but it is not easy.

We purchased 40 Cornish x 9 weeks ago and not counting the cats getting a few of the chicks we have lost 3. One to flip over, one to drowning by jumping in a bucket of water, and the other to failure to thrive. We have White Bresse also with the Cornish x that are the same age so we could compare growth between the breeds. The Bresse have kept up with the Cornish cross in height but not in weight. Most of the Cornish x will be ready for processing this weekend whereas the Bresse will be several more weeks. We have been told that the Bresse taste will be so much better than the Cornish x but we are a little ways from determining that.

Our plan is to raise to Bresse so we can breed and hatch are own meatie instead of purchasing chicks every year. The Bresse are much more hearty and easier to raise.

I do bresse as well by spring I will use them with the Cornish X.
As for taste I will say that Marraduna Basque and the bresse are at the same level.
I have a bunch of Sulmatler and Bielefelder that I need to butcher so I will try those as well.

I would like to comment on the meatie discussion. We are at 6500+ ft elevation. We have raise Cornish x fast growers several times with good success. It does take a little adjustment in how they are fed and treated. They have to have a rest period between when they are fed so we feed once a day with what they will eat in 3-5 hours and then they don't get fed again until the next day. They must have water always and never run out. They cannot just be put out in a pen and free range as they will certainly die. They are also super messy and generally not love-able birds. I guess I would say it can be done but it is not easy.

We purchased 40 Cornish x 9 weeks ago and not counting the cats getting a few of the chicks we have lost 3. One to flip over, one to drowning by jumping in a bucket of water, and the other to failure to thrive. We have White Bresse also with the Cornish x that are the same age so we could compare growth between the breeds. The Bresse have kept up with the Cornish cross in height but not in weight. Most of the Cornish x will be ready for processing this weekend whereas the Bresse will be several more weeks. We have been told that the Bresse taste will be so much better than the Cornish x but we are a little ways from determining that.

Our plan is to raise to Bresse so we can breed and hatch are own meatie instead of purchasing chicks every year. The Bresse are much more hearty and easier to raise.

Interesting! I just keep feed and water available at all times. No lights of course, so they are naturally not eating at night. I think you know how to beat the odds with your chickens for sure. Thanks for the info.

Cedar is bad for birds, try to switch over to pine as soon as possible, although not right now as the other eggs are in the process of hatching (hopefully) - and congrats on the hatching!

DP meat birds - I have 5 Good Shepherd Barred Rock cockerels that will be 3 months old the 19th, and I'd say they're a month or so from being ready to process. DH can't tolerate the idea so they are for sale.

They're beautiful, nothing like hatchery Barred Rocks. If I had room for another breed I'd have kept the pullets and 1 or 2 of these cockerels and set them up in a pen next year. The woman who bought the pullets may want 1 of the boys, I have to call her back tonight.

Hmmm, much to think on. I'm interested in the bresse too, as if I'm going to raise my own meat, then it should be good table fair, and I can see myself breeding the bresse to keep sustainable.

I have read the bresse are finished differently, etc but you probably know far vetter than I do. I am trying to find meatie chicks nearby/local. Would wardel's have them? Or big r in Elizabeth? Or another byc'er?

If I can find either or a mix of both cornish x and something else I will do that. Guess I gotta get the new meatie coop up and the brooder boxes are ready.

Pine shavings or chips for chicks? Going to hardware store, I need more stuff to build thus incubator.

We have babies!!!! 2 out of the 7 have hatched so far

Yay! Get me a shot of the top of their heads, and I'll tell you boy or girl. :) so exciting for someone else to hatch our eggs! Those are some of the last our girls laid fertile.
EDIT: Hard to see in those second set of photos..the girls have a dark V and boys will be messy blonde splotches. Too cute!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom