Colorado

Holy smokes! All 4 hens laid eggs today! This is crazy.

Also got my animal blog's logo made today! I want to get it made into a stamp, but I'm not sure if the design is suitable. Gonna have to hit up Etsy tomorrow & hit some stamp makers up. (The stamp would be the design in the circle)

It's gorgeous! What a beautiful logo - and the lettering is marvelous. Makes me wish I were a writer, so you could do the illustrations and/or cover.

I was at Buckley's Homestead Store in Old Colorado City (Colorado Springs). They will have a variety of breeds of pullets for two upcoming dates, $4 each. I think one date is next week and the other is March 11. If you are interested, you could call them to get a full list of breeds and any other questions you might have. (719) 358-8510.

Last edited:
It's gorgeous! What a beautiful logo - and the lettering is marvelous. Makes me wish I were a writer, so you could do the illustrations and/or cover.

Thank you very much! Lots of practice over a social life & lots of student loan debt went into getting me where I am today with art. ;)

So, after months of research, and getting over the sadness of a Mareks flock, we've decided to sell eggs. Everything we've read says that Mareks will not pass to the eggs, or the chick hatching out of it. Here's a question though, we've never washed eggs before hatching, but should we start wiping them off? Maybe with some kind of wet wipe? I guess we could do a little testing with our own first hatch this season. Wipe 12 don't wipe the other 12... As if I'm only going to hatch 24 the first time. Lol. I'll adjust the numbers later.
Any thoughts on this? Anyone think it's awful?

I would not wipe the eggs, as it can push bacteria, pathogens, etc into the egg. I have read that some people dunk the eggs in a very weak bleach and water solution, and let them air dry on paper towels. I think the best temp water solution to use is room temp, or warm, but don't use a hot as it can enter into the eggs porous shell. Trying half and half would be a good idea too!!!! Congrats on trying to hatch some of their eggs!!!!

Are Silkies more aggressive or flighty, roosters or hens? I was thinking of maybe getting one later this year when things got back to "normal" with my job because my mom thinks they're cute. That's a big thing for my mom; birds of all kind freak her out. I think it was because she was a kid when the movie The Birds came out.
smile.png
If I did get one, it would be part of my mixed flock & I'm trying to figure out if that would work out or not. I want to get one so that maybe it could help endear the rest of the flock to her, just in case I recover enough that I can go on some trips next year & need someone to take care of them while I'm gone.
No, silkies overall are known for being docile and friendly. It's just my one that thinks he's kind of the world this spring. I can still pick him up just fine. He never even looks cross at a person or a hen for that matter. Silkie hens are usually very friendly. I have 5 splash silkies coming with my chicken order. I'm hoping to get a girl out of the 5 so I can breed them. We hatched 4 silkies last year and got all roosters. :/

So, after months of research, and getting over the sadness of a Mareks flock, we've decided to sell eggs. Everything we've read says that Mareks will not pass to the eggs, or the chick hatching out of it. Here's a question though, we've never washed eggs before hatching, but should we start wiping them off? Maybe with some kind of wet wipe? I guess we could do a little testing with our own first hatch this season. Wipe 12 don't wipe the other 12... As if I'm only going to hatch 24 the first time. Lol. I'll adjust the numbers later.
Any thoughts on this? Anyone think it's awful?

I have read to make sure to use warmer water than what the egg is because liquid will flow to warmer temps. So you make sure things don't get pulled into the egg. Mareks is a dust like, air borne, pathogen so maybe vacuum the eggs? ;)

Well good news... The SLW chick I thought for sure was a rooster at 3-4 weeks of age due to a really red comb and blotchy pattern is now 6 months old and looks like a girl after all. Horrible coloring on her but no saddle or hackle feathers and her comb/wattles never grew after that growth spurt when she was younger. We don't really need a SLW since we already have a BLRW a SLP and are getting a GLW this spring, but she'll definitely be easier to find a home for now that we know she is a she. :)

Well good news... The SLW chick I thought for sure was a rooster at 3-4 weeks of age due to a really red comb and blotchy pattern is now 6 months old and looks like a girl after all. Horrible coloring on her but no saddle or hackle feathers and her comb/wattles never grew after that growth spurt when she was younger. We don't really need a SLW since we already have a BLRW a SLP and are getting a GLW this spring, but she'll definitely be easier to find a home for now that we know she is a she. :)

That's good news! :D

Processed Bruno today and he will sit in fridge for a day or two, then he will be eaten. Funny he was 9 month old and was amazed at how small he really was under alll the downy plumage. He had a lot more fat on his body than when we processed our RIR roo's but they were 6 1/2 or 7 months.

So RIP

Rocco lost some of his wattle in the battle with Bruno, he managed to heal almost completely from frost bite on his wattles to loosing some of them in battle. Will be interesting to see how the flock dynamic will change and how Rocco adjusts to being being man on campus with a flock of 23 hens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom