Colorado

They'll dust bathe in the shaving, like practice. But, when they're about two weeks, you can give them a little outside time, and they'll go to town in the dirt. I have a baby yard play gate, and give them half shade half sun, an hour of playtime does them wonders. You could also pull a plug of grass, with the dirt and roots and put that in their brooder. It's great for their little immune systems as well as something to play and chew on. I actually have zero grass, but get some big rooted weeds, and they love them.

Thank you! Should I also start giving them chick grit then also?

Day 7 check on the shipped eggs. 6 out of 7 definitely developing.

And these just because I'm in love with the little dudes. I can't believe how high they can jump or how much they try to fly at 1.5wks old. I knew they would develop quickly, but I'm still surprised by them each day. They've started pecking at the box walls when my dog lays down to watch them. Still get flighty when I'm around but they love the dogs.

So, a second chick had the same thing! Except it was one of the Swedish, and it was an even bigger piece. We got it out of his throat, packed up the chicks, and moved them to their brooder in the barn. If they hadn't of done this, they would have had another week inside.
We used a plastic tarp, like what you put down when you paint, to cover the bottom of the dog crate. They just got too curious, as chicks tend to do, but luckily we were prepared with their outdoor home.
I've alwasy said, "Chickens are pretty smart for being so dumb"...today was a dumb day. Now we have to readjust the brooder, so this doesn't happen again. Although, it'll start being much warmer very soon, and maybe we'll just brood in the barn from day 1. I just love how friendly they are when they've spent time with us.

Ash so glad you figured it out. Chickens will eat anything from my limited experience.

Day 7 check on the shipped eggs. 6 out of 7 definitely developing.

And these just because I'm in love with the little dudes. I can't believe how high they can jump or how much they try to fly at 1.5wks old. I knew they would develop quickly, but I'm still surprised by them each day. They've started pecking at the box walls when my dog lays down to watch them. Still get flighty when I'm around but they love the dogs.

Wow good job on those chicks they sure are cute! Love their wings. Glad your eggs are doing so well.

I have yet to fill the bators with eggs. Been collecting and sorting eggs. I have been able to catch a few girls laying so I will be able to see what hatches from them, if they hatch. So that is exciting, now that we are expecting snow I am holding off, as the bators are sitting on top of our wood stove. We heat predominantly by wood so, they need to be moved temporarily. So I am glad they are not full if eggs yet.

Excitingly we got 5/5 eggs from our Easter Eggers so I am hoping to be able to see what/if they hatch, as far as chicks. Had to plug in the bucket heaters for the flocks nipple waterers. They are calling for 3-6 inches from this storm, it has begun snowing slightly here in North Boulder.

Last edited:
Uzi, Great photos of your hatchlings! Yay, on your newest hatch set!!!!

Foggy here, spitting snow, but nothing on the ground....... yet!

Sams, Funny Fools Day joke about the governemnt, my first thought was, well, guess we will have to hide them!!!! lol
tongue.png

I have been busy on my chicken web page, is fun to work on another web site.

My cherry trees, planted last year, seem to be two dead sticks. I clipped a piece off yesterday to show the nursery where I bought them, and they extended the warranty a month, hoping maybe they aren't totally dead. I'm pretty disappointed, I really really want fruit trees.
Does anyone know much about the area around Sugar City, and Lake Meredith? We are looking at properties down there.

What nursery did you buy them from? I have had good success with fruit trees in the past from up west, Oregon or Washington state. Will look it up if you want????? Have bought Peach, Ash, and Crab Apple from them.

No, don't know a thing about that area! Although, it looks pretty!

Back
Top Bottom