Colorado

Well, got tired of seeing that broody BA's time being wasted... she's been sitting in the nest box all fluffed up for about a week. I push her out and as soon as I go, she goes right back in. I let her keep 2 decent sized/appearance BA eggs and stuck 3 decent sized/appearance New Hampshire eggs (all from today) under her. Each has been marked and dated, and I'll check every day to make sure no others are added. So, that gives me ~3 weeks to figure out a new coop arrangement or possibly a mini pre-built coop/run that I can place inside the main run of the BA's to keep them safe/separated from the "herd" while the (any that hatch) chicks grow a bit and can be integrated.

I'd hoped for this when I started with chickens, but now that it's happening, I have no clue how I'm gonna do this LOL Oh well.
fl.gif
thumbsup.gif

You can find Windy RidgeDominiques on the colorado chickens facebook page or go directly to his website. He is not on here near as often as he used to be.

Fortunately, I do not "Facebook" or participate in any of the other networks other the then forums such as this one. I think my wife may have an account and I did find his page so will try to get in contact with him. Does anyone have a good old phone number for him they could PM me. Thanks

Well, got tired of seeing that broody BA's time being wasted... she's been sitting in the nest box all fluffed up for about a week. I push her out and as soon as I go, she goes right back in.  I let her keep 2 decent sized/appearance BA eggs and stuck 3 decent sized/appearance New Hampshire eggs (all from today) under her. Each has been marked and dated, and I'll check every day to make sure no others are added.  So, that gives me ~3 weeks to figure out a new coop arrangement or possibly a mini pre-built coop/run that I can place inside the main run of the BA's to keep them safe/separated from the "herd" while the (any that hatch) chicks grow a bit and can be integrated. 

I'd hoped for this when I started with chickens, but now that it's happening, I have no clue how I'm gonna do this LOL  Oh well. :fl :thumbsup

My biggest advice, keep those other hens out. They will continuously bug her, give her extra eggs, push her off the nest, and smoosh eggs. We keep a solid item in front of the nest box, a Rubbermaid lid I cut the middle out of and put mesh draw liner over. This way she has air, but it can't just be moved. I also keep a plate off FF in there with her, and every couple days give her BOSS. When I do my morning visit, I take the cover off and see what she wants to do. Some days she gets up, some she just yells at me. If she gets up, try to get her to walk far away from where you are...the other day my broody decided to just stand in the middle stall, and stank up the whole barn. That's no joke, I actually had to bury that poo, it was so nasty.
Our last hatch turned out to be, three Swedish, two Cochin cream mixes and one more Frizzle swedish. This time I knew to expect it, she came out of a green egg. It's cute, with little chipmunk cheeks, and it's wings are already curling. And, my husband is picking up the Cinnamon Queens on Wednesday. Yay!

Fortunately, I do not "Facebook" or participate in any of the other networks other the then forums such as this one. I think my wife may have an account and I did find his page so will try to get in contact with him. Does anyone have a good old phone number for him they could PM me. Thanks

Just PM- wsmith

I am sure he will get back to you.

I did, and I see that he was on just a few days ago. I will ask him when he calls but does anyone know how his wife is doing; I read through a bunch of his posts during his coop build and did not find out recent news.

Well, got tired of seeing that broody BA's time being wasted... she's been sitting in the nest box all fluffed up for about a week. I push her out and as soon as I go, she goes right back in. I let her keep 2 decent sized/appearance BA eggs and stuck 3 decent sized/appearance New Hampshire eggs (all from today) under her. Each has been marked and dated, and I'll check every day to make sure no others are added. So, that gives me ~3 weeks to figure out a new coop arrangement or possibly a mini pre-built coop/run that I can place inside the main run of the BA's to keep them safe/separated from the "herd" while the (any that hatch) chicks grow a bit and can be integrated.

I'd hoped for this when I started with chickens, but now that it's happening, I have no clue how I'm gonna do this LOL Oh well.
fl.gif
thumbsup.gif
I moved my broody to the floor of the coop after dark, and put her into a nest I made. Then I put her and the nest in a crate set on it's side. So the front is open and one of the 'sides' of the crate is over her head, so she feels safe. Then I put all that in a dog crate and left the dog crate open while she brooded, so she could get up and eat and drink if she wanted.
When the chicks hatched I closed the crate up for a week or so and put food and water in there for her and the chicks.
After they were all eating and drinking I just opened the crate and she took care of the rest. She protected them and kept them warm and fed.
Good luck.
Hey LS, are you getting bees this weekend? Mine are coming into Wardel this Saturday!

Found this and wanted to share here.

Here is a must read....just a possible patent that could destroy the chemical pesticide industry.

" March 9th, 2015
If there's anything you read – or share – let this be it. The content of this article has potential to radically shift the world in a variety of positive ways.

And as Monsanto would love for this article to not go viral, all we can ask is that you share, share, share the information being presented so that it can reach as many people as possible.

In 2006, a patent was granted to a man named Paul Stamets. Though Paul is the world's leading mycologist, his patent has received very little attention and exposure. Why is that? Stated by executives in the pesticide industry, this patent represents “the most disruptive technology we have ever witnessed.” And when the executives say disruptive, they are referring to it being disruptive to the chemical pesticides industry.

What has Paul discovered? The mycologist has figured out how to use mother nature's own creations to keep insects from destroying crops. It's what is being called SMART pesticides. These pesticides provide safe & nearly permanent solution for controlling over 200,000 species of insects - and all thanks to the 'magic' of mushrooms.

Paul does this by taking entomopathogenic Fungi (fungi that destroys insects) and morphs it so it does not produce spores. In turn, this actually attracts the insects who then eat and turn into fungi from the inside out!

This patent has potential to revolutionize the way humans grow crops – if it can be allowed to reach mass exposure.

To tolerate the use of pesticides in modern agriculture is to deny evidence proving its detrimental effects against the environment. Such ignorance really can no longer be tolerated. For example, can you imagine a world without bees? Monsanto's chemical concoctions which are being sprayed all over farmers' fields around the world are attributed to the large-scale bee die off. While a growing number of countries are banning Monsanto, it's still being used in in nations who should be aware of its dangers. To say that new methods need to be implemented before it is too late is an understatement.

Monsanto presently generates $16 billion dollars per year (as reported in 2014), therefore you can be certain they do not want anything interrupting that flow of revenue. Such income gives them nearly limitless resources and abilities to suppress information that may be damaging their reputation.

But by becoming educated on the benefits of growing sustainable, organic, and bio-dynamic food, sharing articles like this, and boycotting GMO & herbicide-sprayed crops, the corporate demon may soon get the message.

Here are helpful links to understand more about the incredible patent discussed above:

Here is a link to the patent we are speaking of: 7,122,176
http://www.google.com/patents/US7122176"

This was from this website.

http://www.ewao.com/a/1-he-holds-the-patent-that-could-destroy-monsanto-and-change-the-world

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

I get on BYC about once a week. For those who do not know, I remarried in January, to my high school sweetheart. We are still at the same place. Sherry moved here from Duchesne, Utah, and brought her Blue Ameraucana and two dogs. LOL. Between the FB group, home projects and work, I don't have much time for BYC.

Our chicks are just starting to hatch. We got a homemade cabinet incubator last summer, and it took nearly 10 dozen fertile eggs dying during incubation before we got the temperature and air distribution worked out. We think.......

We won't be selling any chicks this year, but should have some pullets available in early fall I think.

Our breeding program is doing well, and each successive generation of birds are better than the last. We have expanded our operation to include Ameraucana large fowl chickens as well as the large fowl Dominiques. These are NOT Easter Eggers. We got a nice Blue Ameraucana cock from Judi, and Sherry had a nice Blue hen. We also have purchased shipped eggs in the incubator, as well as some of our own Am. eggs. So we MAY have some decent Ameraucana pullets and cockerels for sale later this fall as well. We will be focusing on our own flock and breeding program needs first, and will let people know of any availability when the time arrives. Most of our chicken communication now days is done via FB on Colorado Chickens, and Windy Ridge.

Back
Top Bottom