Colorado

Hi All!

I haven't been on much lately. I have been busy with work and wedding and honeymoon stuff. I have what's probably a very redundant question but since I'm new to chicken keeping I feel better asking people that are more knowledgeable than me (especially people that live in the area). I managed to find some bantam cochin chicks the second week of August and they are feathering out nicely. This week they will be 6 weeks and I'm tempted to put them outside permanently while the weather is still nice. I worry that it may still be too early for them considering the nights are getting chilly. They'd have each other and eventually my other two older pullets will join them but these are like my children and I don't want them to get too cold!

Here is a picture of one of the babies.

Hi All!

I haven't been on much lately. I have been busy with work and wedding and honeymoon stuff. I have what's probably a very redundant question but since I'm new to chicken keeping I feel better asking people that are more knowledgeable than me (especially people that live in the area). I managed to find some bantam cochin chicks the second week of August and they are feathering out nicely. This week they will be 6 weeks and I'm tempted to put them outside permanently while the weather is still nice. I worry that it may still be too early for them considering the nights are getting chilly. They'd have each other and eventually my other two older pullets will join them but these are like my children and I don't want them to get too cold!

Here is a picture of one of the babies.

As long as you have been acclimating them to the outside temperatures and they have a draft free place to sleep they should be fine. I had mine outside overnight early by putting a heating pad in a cardboard box. They cuddled in there and I slowly reduced the heat on the pad. I think they were completely off heat by week 5 (but that was earlier in the summer).

Thank you @lomine ! I haven't been acclimating them really. I haven't been home enough to do so. I think what I'll do is turn their light off and let them get used to the temps in the house which range from 63 to 75. My coop is draft free and I suppose I could make the bedding deeper.

So we had a couple of weeks with milder fall temps... 70s-80s, and I took out the swamp cooler and turned off the water supply. So of course what happens? We now have temps in the high 90s, and they're gonna stick around for a while.
rant.gif
I guess I shouldn't complain too much. In a week I'll be living in TX and it will be much warmer for much longer. I'm sure I'll be happy about it come January/February...

You will want some type of ac in Texas for sure. I know there were a few days we had the heat on in Houston but those werr rare.

My girls got to spend a few hours in the run today. Then I locked myself in there with them on accident. :D i had put the clear corregated panel on the pocket door to keep the dog from destroying her paws trying to tear down the hardware cloth. It fits but one side wasnt secured and bowed out a bit. Once I closed the pocket door, it bowed out and I couldn't get it back open from the inside. The ladies thought it was great fun to hang with me in there. Luckily I had found a screw i used to put through the hardware cloth to pull the plastic back so I could get the door open.

The plastic is now fixed.;)

I can tell you, it is a secure run! Nothing is getting in or out. I was hoping that I was going to have to start screaming for someone inside would hear me.

So we had a couple of weeks with milder fall temps... 70s-80s, and I took out the swamp cooler and turned off the water supply. So of course what happens? We now have temps in the high 90s, and they're gonna stick around for a while.
rant.gif
I guess I shouldn't complain too much. In a week I'll be living in TX and it will be much warmer for much longer. I'm sure I'll be happy about it come January/February...

Jan/ Feb can be ridiculously cold feeling when you are from CO. It is that damp kinda cold that creeps in. Been there, done that, still here!
lol.png
Don't get rid of all of your warm clothes. You are going to want them for those few days. You have to check in with us once and awhile, okay?!

Thanks all. Yeah, I spent a few years in NE Florida, similar latitude, so I know it's not all sunshine and bathing suits. They DO get snow, and ice storms there, though rare. And it will dip below freezing a few times for short periods. I'm not getting rid of any winter clothing. The home has a heat pump I believe, so not as good as a pure central air unit, but time will tell. I plan on using the wood burning stove for most heat in the winter. We'll see about that as well. According to the seller, that stove has been used as sole source of heat and it handles the job well.

I won't have internet initially as every provider seems to be at capacity right now and the satellite providers are ridiculously priced. So I won't be on as much for an indeterminate time. I'll still swing by here as I've made "friends" here. Feel like I "know" quite a few of you having been here for a couple of years now. Good folks on the CO thread.

You will want some type of ac in Texas for sure. I know there were a few days we had the heat on in Houston but those werr rare.

My girls got to spend a few hours in the run today. Then I locked myself in there with them on accident.
big_smile.png
i had put the clear corregated panel on the pocket door to keep the dog from destroying her paws trying to tear down the hardware cloth. It fits but one side wasnt secured and bowed out a bit. Once I closed the pocket door, it bowed out and I couldn't get it back open from the inside. The ladies thought it was great fun to hang with me in there. Luckily I had found a screw i used to put through the hardware cloth to pull the plastic back so I could get the door open.

The plastic is now fixed.
wink.png

I can tell you, it is a secure run! Nothing is getting in or out. I was hoping that I was going to have to start screaming for someone inside would hear me.

I have so been there done that too. NOW I have a cell phone with me at all times JUST IN CASE lol. I was locked in for an hour in the winter in the early morning before hubby decided to see what was taking me so long.
he.gif
Yes our run was a little to secure as well.

Howdy strangers, its good to see some familiar faces
old.gif
and some new ones, too
tongue.png
Is there a better way to heat a coop at 7,000 feet than with lamps? My electric bill was astronomical last winter.

Back
Top Bottom