Colorado

Hello everyone, I am still a newbie when it comes to chickens. I have three barred rock bantums that are 1 year old, I have had them since they were 8 weeks old. They lay about 3 eggs a week a piece normally. I just moved them into a bigger coop that we built and added 7 new chickens over the last couple months(2-13 week old Lavender Orpingtons, 2-18 week old GLW) and inside the run we have their old smaller coop with 3-10 week old Buff Brahmas(they are to young, so they stay separated). All of them stay with their own "kind". Is this normal? And since my BRB are laying but I will get now 1 egg every 5 days or so. Is this due to the stress of new feathered friends or is this due to the weather change? Or new coop, or all of it? Sorry lots of questions....

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I am still a newbie when it comes to chickens. I have three barred rock bantums that are 1 year old, I have had them since they were 8 weeks old. They lay about 3 eggs a week a piece normally. I just moved them into a bigger coop that we built and added 7 new chickens over the last couple months(2-13 week old Lavender Orpingtons, 2-18 week old GLW) and inside the run we have their old smaller coop with 3-10 week old Buff Brahmas(they are to young, so they stay separated). All of them stay with their own "kind". Is this normal? And since my three old ladies are laying but I will get now 1 egg every 5 days or so. Is this due to the stress of new feathered friends or is this due to the weather change? Or new coop, or all of it? Sorry lots of questions....

Welcome!

Yes, they are like prisoners and they stay wth their own kind.

The 3 year olds stop laying about now if they have been consistent layers. We had the same happen with ours and they became gumbo additive meat. :)

Welcome!

FYI, Murdochs in Parker got chicks in today. Everyone was surprised they got them in October. If you are interested they have Barred Rock, Buff Orphangton, Black Australorp, what they called an Americuana and RIR. Looksed to be 3 days old chicks.

It was really hard for me to not come home with some. I just got ,ine grown enpugh to be in the coop so I passed for now.

Hello everyone, I am still a newbie when it comes to chickens. I have three barred rock bantums that are 1 year old, I have had them since they were 8 weeks old. They lay about 3 eggs a week a piece normally. I just moved them into a bigger coop that we built and added 7 new chickens over the last couple months(2-13 week old Lavender Orpingtons, 2-18 week old GLW) and inside the run we have their old smaller coop with 3-10 week old Buff Brahmas(they are to young, so they stay separated). All of them stay with their own "kind". Is this normal? And since my BRB are laying but I will get now 1 egg every 5 days or so. Is this due to the stress of new feathered friends or is this due to the weather change? Or new coop, or all of it? Sorry lots of questions....

It is a combination of factors. Your BRB are still young and should be headed into a molt if not already molting. Chickens will stop laying during a molt, when new chickens are added, when you move them around like into a new coop, the length of the day and of course for other reasons like illness or being broody. Chickens are really sensitive to changes and I have had a few that stopped laying for a while with the only change being where the food dish was placed.

Mine are molting now and also were moved around so I am also not getting many eggs. I feel your pain.

Yes they will tend to stick with the ones they were raised with or that match their own coloring. People don't see that in flocks that have one of this and one of that and one of the other since there are not matching colors.

As to when they stop laying altogether....... I have had chickens (many of them) that were six years old and still laid well. The best layers at that age for me were the Black Australorp. All chickens slow down when the age but they do still lay. Some will slow to a near stop but others will still lay well during the spring and summer. It all depends on the individual chicken when it comes to that.

Whether to turn them into soup is a matter of choice. Some people will cull out every hen over 2 years old and some will keep them around. Mine get to stay a long time but yes do end up in the freezer eventually.

Don't hesitate to ask lots of questions. Heck that is what this site is founded on. Lots of wonderful folks on here willing to share what they have learned.

Hi there,

I want to order some chicks from Ideal Poultry but the min order is $25.  With just 6 chicks on my order, my total is $17 so I need someone to buy another $8 worth of poultry.  

I already tried to just round up to $25 but no go.  If someone here says they want some, I'll pay for them and you can reimburse me later when we give them to you.  I live in Littleton by the way.

Hi hoothills, we're you wanting to do this right away? I'd be interested in talking more. I'm south of you near Larkspur.
Denise

Thought I would share our idea for winterizing panels (it's so warm right now but I know winter is coming...).

Not the cheapest to make but I wanted something that would survive the Wyoming winds up here near the state line.

Used Suntuf roof panels and fastened them to a frame of 2x2s. Attached these to the main frame of the run with metal plates and carriage bolts through the run 2x4s. They can be easily removed by taking the nuts off the carriage bolts.

Welcome!

FYI, Murdochs in Parker got chicks in today. Everyone was surprised they got them in October. If you are interested they have Barred Rock, Buff Orphangton, Black Australorp, what they called an Americuana and RIR. Looksed to be 3 days old chicks.

It was really hard for me to not come home with some. I just got ,ine grown enpugh to be in the coop so I passed for now.
Wow that's crazy-- i wonder why they're selling so late in the season. But I really think you should go back and get some. ;)

Just wanted to share my excitement, one more week until my pair of Coronation Sussex arrive! Spent the day preparing their seperate run and coop and everything looks comfy. I'll post pics soon :)

Back
Top Bottom