Colorado

I've been using a dog pen for my chickens. I've added fencing to the top to keep them in and other animals out. it turned out to be a good thing too. Twice there has been a hawk here wanting to get my chickens. So I would suggest if you really want, try building a fence that you can add support on the top to apply more fencing. This should alloy you to walk in and around the area and protect them from predators. Then you can have nesting area inside. Your chickens would be able to run around on the ground and still be safe. Just make sure if you are going to have baby chicks to use hardware mesh around the bottom to keep them from getting out the caging. When mine were babies, I've seen them go thru the chicken wire.

I have two Pekin Ducks, one male one female. They are about 8 months old niw. The female lays an egg about every day. We unfortunately may have to rehome them, I am hoping to find someone that will take them and have them as 'pets' but I know that may be unrealistic.....Is there anyone that would be interested in taking on my two Pekins? I hate to ask but I feel like I am prolonging the inevitable.

Thanks
I am located in parker

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with Wardle Feed & Pet Supply? I saw they have baby chicks coming the 17th and I thought I'd take the kids to go check them out.

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with Wardle Feed & Pet Supply? I saw they have baby chicks coming the 17th and I thought I'd take the kids to go check them out.
I've only had a bad experience with their coops. About $600 for a small one that started warping out in the weather the first year. All my roosters that used it got frostbite. I don't know about the quality of their chicks, though.

Comeongetdown,

I got a 12 week pullet from Wardles and caught hell from many people for doing so. There is a definite bias toward being negative about them. Personally, the girl we got was healthy and integrated into the flock well. I have not gotten chicks there. We got our chicks at Golden Mill.

I am getting some chicks from Norther Colorado Feed Supply today and in two weeks for a special order, (not really that special, just asked her to hold what was ordered). I really like Daniel at NCF. I live in Boulder and it is worth the drive. Daniel always gets orders right and is patient while I pick out just the right chick that I want. Other places don't let me pick through the chicks or are very impatient if they do let me.

I haven't bought from Wardles, but my daughter lives about 2 blocks from the store so I do stop in and look and sometimes buy some food for the chickens or get wood chips or whatever. They don't seem any better or worse than any other feed store to me.
But, like I say...I've never bought any chicks....

Hi Everyone,
My name is Justin and I am a backyard chicken keeper in Denver, CO. My flock of 10 consists of a variety of hens. I have been keeping chickens ever since I bought our house 3 years ago but also had chickens when I was young on the farm.

This year, the coop is going to get some needed TLC and hens are going to be getting a larger run as well.

Finally, I am going to try hatching some eggs this year as well. Should be an exciting year for us in Chicken-dom.

Back
Top Bottom