Colorado

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with Wardle Feed & Pet Supply?  I saw they have baby chicks coming the 17th and I thought I'd take the kids to go check them out.

Welcome!

No direct experience with wardle myself so nothing I can add there.

I can say that Northern Colorado Feeders Supply has wonderful people and fantastic selections. They also don't charge extreme amounts for the rare breeds they can get in. So far I am really happy with my birds from them.

Side note.... Most if not ALL premade coop kits are to lightweight to have any real strength and grossly overstate how many birds can live in them. OH and they are way overpriced.

@comeongetdown I Believe Wardle's chicks come from Fulenwider Farms in Hudson, which is where the chicks at City Floral come from. I bought my first chicks at City Floral, but haven't bought chicks since. My experience is good with Fulenwider. My absolute favorite chicken - an "Americana" / Easter Egger - is from there, and other than being the inevitable cockerels, the Buff Orpington and Silver-Laced Wyandotte were also wonderful, though I couldn't keep them. I can't imagine the quality has gone down, so I would say go for it at Wardles!

I had no idea there was a Colorado thread here! I came from Salida and hubby and I moved to AZ for his job and now we have landed in Nevada for his work. We are at a 5800 altitude and I have been trying to find some Silkie,Speckled Sussex, and Ameraucana (not EE's) hatching eggs. Out of 3 orders of eggs last year only 2 hatched because all the breeders I find are at a low altitude. So here I am.

I had to share this with you all. I cut out some of the conversation that wasn't important.

I just bumped into my neighbors on the way back from walking the dogs. He asked if my chickens were laying and said they were going to pick up some laying hens. They were apparently told that they were laying 6-12 eggs a day. I asked how many hens. He said 6. I said that's not possible. That a hen lays an egg a day, maybe two. Then the wife says "No, at our old house we got 8 eggs a day from 2 hens." She claimed it was because she gave them chick feed. I said it takes 25 hours for a hen to process an egg, the eggs must have come from other hens. She said they were in a cage. I just said "OK, if you say so" and walked away. I wasn't about to argue with her. I seriously don't even know what to think about it.

I had to share this with you all. I cut out some of the conversation that wasn't important.

I just bumped into my neighbors on the way back from walking the dogs. He asked if my chickens were laying and said they were going to pick up some laying hens. They were apparently told that they were laying 6-12 eggs a day. I asked how many hens. He said 6. I said that's not possible. That a hen lays an egg a day, maybe two. Then the wife says "No, at our old house we got 8 eggs a day from 2 hens." She claimed it was because she gave them chick feed. I said it takes 25 hours for a hen to process an egg, the eggs must have come from other hens. She said they were in a cage. I just said "OK, if you say so" and walked away. I wasn't about to argue with her. I seriously don't even know what to think about it.

:hugs

You cannot fix certain levels of not wanting to be educated.
When I run into things like this I shake my head, walk away and count my blessings that I do not suffer that level of ignorance.

Maybe next time encourage them to join BYC since they are bound to have questions from time to time.
They may actually do it and then learn a lot.

Sometimes people are so stubborn you have to wait till they figure out they are wrong on their own. I once got into a debate with someone who was from Sioux Falls, SD, who insisted that Sioux Falls was indeed the capital of SD. I said, well it's Pierre but okay. They said no, I'm FROM there, of course it's Sioux Falls. I said if you say so. Two days later they looked it up themselves. Sweet victory
1f609.png

Back
Top Bottom