Colorado

Hi fellow Coloradans! I'm wondering if anyone knows of CO hen rescue organizations...I'd love to adopt some retired/battery/factory/aged/unwanted hens to give them a peaceful mountain home to live out their days, but a thorough Google search turned up nothing in our state - I looked at everything from farm animal sanctuaries to local humane society shelters...but no hens up for adoption. What gives?! Is anyone out there?! And if you are in the Front Range area and looking to re-home hens or cull your aging flock, please contact me because I'd be happy to provide these ladies a loving retirement home in our backyard coops.

This is awesome, but I have searched in the past without finding much either. I have heard of a place called Ginger Snap Ranch which is a farm animal rescue/adoption, but I don't know much about it. There seem to be lots of drakes on CL right now if you can have a drake only flock at your place that would be sweet of you. I have a feeling there will be lots of drakes and Roos in need of homes in the next month as the spring chicks mature and their sex becomes obvious.

The only place I can think of that has farm animals around here is the Black Forest Animal Sanctuary. I don't know if they have chickens.

I googled egg companies in CO and found the Colorado Egg Producers. They are a group of farms that produce and sell eggs here in CO. You could try contacting them about adopting some older hens.

I have only been taking in hens/roosters that others can’t take care of anymore, but I haven’t gotten any ex-bat hens (I would very much like to, though). If you do find a place, please share the info here if you can.

Surprisingly, the netting on my aviary did not get ruined this time. Usually that’s the only thing that gets ruined in bad weather. However, everything else was ruined by the winds. :| Windows & doors were ripped off & I’m trying to figure out how to fix everything while hoping the continued wind doesn’t do more damage. This weather!

I located 2 chickens (an easter-egger hen and a bantam silkie rooster) at the Denver animal shelter! They seem to be the only chickens up for adoption/rescue in the state of Colorado, sheesh. So, I am going to visit them tomorrow and hopefully scoop them up if all looks well with their health :)

Finally getting some action with the geese. This morning the gander stayed up with the girls instead of his normal. Knew something was up. Got home and the gooses have switched nests and the gander has joined then. Signs and sounds of one hatching. In the melee one eggs was pushed out and cold. Bummer dummer.

Attachments

• IMG_20180420_174311.jpg
    IMG_20180420_174311.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 3
Finally getting some action with the geese. This morning the gander stayed up with the girls instead of his normal. Knew something was up. Got home and the gooses have switched nests and the gander has joined then. Signs and sounds of one hatching. In the melee one eggs was pushed out and cold. Bummer dummer.

Can't wait to see some little ones!

Back
Top Bottom