Colorado

It’s 830 where I am, before I head out there and give this a shot, would you say it’s normal how aggressive she was being and that I still have hope? Not saying it’s normal as in it’s definitely going to work just normal as in doing it in the daytime could have caused this and she’s not a complete lost cause.

It’s 830 where I am, before I head out there and give this a shot, would you say it’s normal how aggressive she was being and that I still have hope? Not saying it’s normal as in it’s definitely going to work just normal as in doing it in the daytime could have caused this and she’s not a complete lost cause.

Yes the trying during the day may have been the issue. She was fully awake so knew something was up.

The only breed I have had that accepted chicks day or night without issue was bantam cochins. I really like them for chick raising.

Give it a shot tonight and she might turn out to be a great mother hen. If she doesn't then at least you will know.

And @21hens-incharge my last question, which you might not be as familiar with… we have fricking rats in our coop right now. If I have our chicken food out, which kills me to deliberately feed them, is there a good chance they stay away from the chicks and the hen?

And @21hens-incharge my last question, which you might not be as familiar with… we have fricking rats in our coop right now. If I have our chicken food out, which kills me to deliberately feed them, is there a good chance they stay away from the chicks and the hen?

Holy bats! I hate rats.

I don't think they will pass up a chicken nugget. 🤔

Can you put rat bait stations out? D-con seems more effective than other brands at least on the mice here.

Holy bats! I hate rats.

I don't think they will pass up a chicken nugget. 🤔

Can you put rat bait stations out? D-con seems more effective than other brands at least on the mice here.
I have a whole station and they completely ignore it for the chicken food. We actually had the exterminator come back out here to put a more enticing and simultaneously more toxic poison and they couldn’t care less. They just eat the chicken food. I also have snap traps. I’m actually getting cats Tuesday to take care of the rats and mice.

So should I maybe just keep the chicks in the brooder and raise these guys myself?! Then there’s the whole mess with introducing them and breaking the broody and we go on vacation when the chicks are nine weeks.

I just need to get through tonight because tomorrow I can bring the rat proof brooder out there for them hang out in but I can’t introduce them and get her in a box at the same time.

This is stressing me out way too much lol

I have a whole station and they completely ignore it for the chicken food. We actually had the exterminator come back out here to put a more enticing and simultaneously more toxic poison and they couldn’t care less. They just eat the chicken food. I also have snap traps. I’m actually getting cats Tuesday to take care of the rats and mice

If they are getting in the coop and not just the run you may need to figure out exactly where they are getting in and close all gaps.

What is your set up like for your broody hen?

If they are getting in the coop and not just the run you may need to figure out exactly where they are getting in and close all gaps.

What is your set up like for your broody hen?
The hen refuses to move and she broods in a corner, on the floor, directly under the nesting box. The coop is 9’x8’ and over 6’ tall because it’s almost like I built an add on shed so the nesting boxes are mounted on the wall. She’s in the worst case scenario location for the rats honestly

The coop is built right next to my shed and they have chewed a tunnel under the coop and into the shed foundation and they live under the shed. And then where the coop meets the shed wall, they chewed their way up and into the coop. I have thought about drowning them, shooting down into their hole, I lay snap traps all over the coop floor when the chickens are asleep and then I go out there before I go to sleep and I get the traps, I put my ring doorbell out there and just watch them at night. I hate them. This is why I’m getting the cats because nothing else is working. It took them two years to get in there but now that they have, they are loving it.

In hindsight, the coop should have been off the ground but I was kind of working with a frame from the previous owner and this is my first coop but now I know why they’re all off the ground.

You may need to brooder raise the chicks or get the broody set up in a rat proof area before trying again.

I would also stuff steel wool in the hole they made and cap it with a piece of metal roof flashing. If it doesn't stop them it will at least slow them down.

You may need to brooder raise the chicks or get the broody set up in a rat proof area before trying again.

I would also stuff steel wool in the hole they made and cap it with a piece of metal roof flashing. If it doesn't stop them it will at least slow them down.
I think I’m going to throw some poison down their hole too. It kills them within 24 hours. I was seeing 5 in the coop at night, some got into the poison, and now I’m only seeing two. The poison is a loose oat like poison so I can get it down their hole. I have the brooder but if I put the hen in it tomorrow and then introduce the chicks at night I don’t have anywhere to keep the chicks in the meantime. Maybe I will just brooder raise these chicks and deal with integrating them and breaking her one problem at a time 😫

Back
Top Bottom