Colorado

The hen refuses to move and she broods in a corner, on the floor, directly under the nesting box. The coop is 9’x8’ and over 6’ tall because it’s almost like I built an add on shed so the nesting boxes are mounted on the wall. She’s in the worst case scenario location for the rats honestly

The coop is built right next to my shed and they have chewed a tunnel under the coop and into the shed foundation and they live under the shed. And then where the coop meets the shed wall, they chewed their way up and into the coop. I have thought about drowning them, shooting down into their hole, I lay snap traps all over the coop floor when the chickens are asleep and then I go out there before I go to sleep and I get the traps, I put my ring doorbell out there and just watch them at night. I hate them. This is why I’m getting the cats because nothing else is working. It took them two years to get in there but now that they have, they are loving it.

In hindsight, the coop should have been off the ground but I was kind of working with a frame from the previous owner and this is my first coop but now I know why they’re all off the ground.
Taking in some sheltered feral cats (wish I knew the name of the group in Colorado) made *all* the difference with my rodent problem — in the barn, at least!! Two of the three are skilled hunters, and one decided she likes the human house better after all :idunno

@21hens-incharge so there has been no rat activity for 2 nights… chicks are 5 days old, hen is still broody, is it too late to try? I’m hesitant since she’s a first time mother

I have given chicks that old to a broody but she was one that would brood anything and even when she had 6 chicks would cluck at an entirely new batch in a different coop.

All you can do is try. If it works that's GREAT. If not it's back to the brooder.

Hi everyone! I’m from Colorado Springs, brand new at raising chickens. My 8 Black Astralorp chicks are 4 weeks old and I am building the coop from my own plans with my elderly dad’s supervision lol. I have been researching for over a year, but have wanted to raise chickens for about 10 years now. The cost of eggs and the awareness of commercial chicken treatment has been what inspired me to kick into gear. We eat a lot of eggs in this house so I picked the best layer and a winter hardy breed. Any extra I have I plan to donate to a local food bank but I still have to research more on that part.

Hi everyone! I’m from Colorado Springs, brand new at raising chickens. My 8 Black Astralorp chicks are 4 weeks old and I am building the coop from my own plans with my elderly dad’s supervision lol. I have been researching for over a year, but have wanted to raise chickens for about 10 years now. The cost of eggs and the awareness of commercial chicken treatment has been what inspired me to kick into gear. We eat a lot of eggs in this house so I picked the best layer and a winter hardy breed. Any extra I have I plan to donate to a local food bank but I still have to research more on that part.

Welcome!
Black australorp are wonderful birds! I am sure you will have fun with them. They have always been very calm even tempered birds in my experience.

I tried to donate my extras here in Loveland. The food bank told me they can only accept grocery store FDA inspected eggs. That was a disappointment. Maybe local churches can accept them. I never ventured further that direction.

Welcome!

You might try the Marian House soup kitchen in downtown Colorado Springs. If they can't give the eggs out they may be able use them in their meals. They always have some kind of soup but also make regular dishes for their daily meal.

I tried to donate my extras here in Loveland. The food bank told me they can only accept grocery store FDA inspected eggs. That was a disappointment. Maybe local churches can accept them. I never ventured further that direction.
Same in Boulder county. Church food banks are a little more flexible. Barter with friends for excess produce. Chickens are more than happy with fruit and vegetable treats.

Hi All,
I am fairly new to back yard chickens. We brought home 7 little ones around Mother's day, I was told they are all female, however, I am fairly certain this little guy is quickly growing into HIS own.
Our city does not allow roosters, and I do not want him to be someone's dinner.
Any suggestions on where I can rehome him in the Denver Metro area?
Thanks so much,
Natalie
1689861663887.png

Hi All,
I am fairly new to back yard chickens. We brought home 7 little ones around Mother's day, I was told they are all female, however, I am fairly certain this little guy is quickly growing into HIS own.
Our city does not allow roosters, and I do not want him to be someone's dinner.
Any suggestions on where I can rehome him in the Denver Metro area?
Thanks so much,
Natalie
View attachment 3583033
I am certainly not an expert, but I am fairly sure that is not a rooster. That’s a hen

Back
Top Bottom