Colorado

I actually think there's a lot to be said for animals that learn at an early age to withstand the weather, although I wouldn't have put them out if I wasn't there to help them into the coop the first night either, but in general they do better when out. Many moons ago when I had dogs I met someone whose dogs were always the picture of robust health with tons of self-confidence, and when I went to visit her I saw why - they were out every day no matter what, had a huge yard they could (and did) run and had daily sunshine and fresh air. The effect really stayed with me.
I completely agree. I also feel they feather out quicker & thicker too once they are outside. I'll always wait to put them outside when I'm going to be home for their bed time. As far as health I think you nailed that observation. Compared to when I lived in the city I was hardly outside and I was sick with a cold more often. Now I maybe get one cold a year and could possibly be attributed to being outside more then inside? And my dogs now hate to be inside they practically break the door down.

I have pekin ducks(2) and a runner. There is bonded pair with the pekings and the runner is female. I'm not sure I want to do ducks but will stick with these guys/gals because they are here. But if you should want replacements, you can have mine. I don't want them eaten because they really are sweet. The runner is the cutest thing ever, about the size of a chicken and always the first to run to the backdoor when it opens. I don't have a pond or natural body of water and am just worried about insuring they get something to swim in this winter.

I have no idea yet. I keep hoping that they will magically get feathers but thus far...they are still rather bedraggled. These things are rather pathetic looking still... if they weight a pound, they are lucky. I knew they'd be small...but picture small and featherless? It bothers me somewhat as they have never ventured outside and now with the cooler temperatures, I don't think they will until next spring. Anyone want a house chicken? Although I use the term 'chicken' loosely with these guys.

My chicken area is attached to my garage so they will have significant shelter from the colder temperatures and wind. I'm still debating on how I'm going to do supplemental heat. It seems unfair to make the rest of the flock suffer with supplemental heat for just a couple of chickens.
Finally got around to sleeping. Well at least my drake went down a hero protecting his girl. I think I'm done with ducks though. They are too "wet" for me. They were pets and I hatched a few ducklings from them but didn't keep the ducklings. So I'll be trying to find her a home.

That would be so awesome to have a house chicken. Yeah, that so would not fly well with hubby where he grew up with the mentality animals live outside.

Finally got around to sleeping. Well at least my drake went down a hero protecting his girl. I think I'm done with ducks though. They are too "wet" for me. They were pets and I hatched a few ducklings from them but didn't keep the ducklings. So I'll be trying to find her a home.

Poor gal. I wanted these guys for the eggs but now find I am trying to figure out how to best meet their needs along with the chickens. Ducks seem to be so much hardier than chickens and these guys are the first out in the morning and the last in. They love playing in the dirt and love the wet. I suspect they will love the wetness of winter too. That's part of the problem. They love wet too much. :)

I am contemplating on building an area on the side of my house between the garage and house for them. I may get a winterized water hose warmer so they can still get their water fix during the coldest part of winter. I just don't know yet.

But they are my responsibility now so unless they give me a reason to or I can find a duckie lover...will stay here uneaten. They never bonded with the chickens, even the ones they were brooded with. They just are happy doing their own thing together. I have heard the drakes may attempt to mate with my chickens...if that should happen, I'll have to cull him. But so far, there is no interspecies attraction going on. ;-)

Oh nooo! Not another chicken show! Coloradogal I actually DO want a house chicken, and I almost walked away with a frazzle cockerel from the petting zoo/tent at the El Paso County fair this summer. I had these visions of a little chicken resting on the couch while we watch movies, roosting on the bedrame at night, hanging out in my purse while out shopping. My boyfriend says no and that it would be ridiculous to have a chicken wear a diaper all the time, haha. I like the way that the frazzles look, even though I know it's not healthy for them, all mussed up feathers and all.

He was so small and tumbleweedy :love

We got a deluge yesterday. The chicken run had puddles and I'm glad the dry area under the coop is slightly raised so they didn't have to stand in water. Silly girls don't know to just go into the coop! I had to go out during the worst of it to move their food/water things under the coop so that they didn't starve. I felt so bad for them out in the rain and wind and thunder, they looked terrified. My poor little Hazel (welsummer) at the bottom of the pecking order got a bunch of her butt feathers plucked out while they were all hiding out from the rain :(

Wow, the skies just opened up here! Storm center must be right over us...thunder crack and lightning at the same time. A little hail but not big. But now it's just pouring! Poor girls are huddled under the coop but the wind's blowing so hard, I imagine they're getting pretty wet. Talk about "not having the sense to go in out of the rain!" LOL

Ok guys, after all the food talk I figure this is the best start for what I need...a biscuit recipe. A simple starter recipe, for regular fluffy biscuits. I've never had luck, they always come out hard, or crumbly or tasteless. Help me!

I've had good luck with this one. I've learned that cutting in the shortening and just barely mixing with the liquid does the best. Over mixing makes them tough and doughy

Ingredients

• 4 cups self-rising flour
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2/3 cup shortening
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 2 tablespoons buttermilk, for brushing

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 2 cups buttermilk, mixing just enough for dough to come together.
  3. Roll dough out until 1 inch thick. Cut into rounds with a biscuit cutter. Place biscuits on prepared baking pan. Brush biscuits with 2 tablespoons buttermilk.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, until golden.

I've had good luck with this one. I've learned that cutting in the shortening and just barely mixing with the liquid does the best. Over mixing makes them tough and doughy
Ingredients

• 4 cups self-rising flour
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2/3 cup shortening
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 2 tablespoons buttermilk, for brushing

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 2 cups buttermilk, mixing just enough for dough to come together.
  3. Roll dough out until 1 inch thick. Cut into rounds with a biscuit cutter. Place biscuits on prepared baking pan. Brush biscuits with 2 tablespoons buttermilk.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, until golden.
Looks easy enough. I don't keep shortening in the house, so can't make these till a trip to the store. Thank you...and any others are welcome, I like diversity. ~Ashley

Well Ashdoes, I'm a bisquick bidscuit maker, can't help.

Was out today watching my little flock of 8: 1 BA, 1 (bully) GLW, 2 Wellies, 2 BR's, 2 Doms & 2.....wait a minute. I have 10 chickens. Hmmmm, oh yeah, I have a flock of 8, and then these 2 fraidy cat, chicken livered EEs. One of the EEs, #24, brown with a black head, so cute, looks like a little eagle sorta, well she obviously WANTS to be part of the flock. Hangs around the edges, and when the bully GLW isn't around, even intermingles somewhat. When I put treats out, she stays about 2 feet away, and if she can see an open area, darts in and grabs something, then runs away, so maybe someday I'll have a flock of 9.

Unfortunately, the other EE, #22 a pretty yellow/gray has totally given up on being part of the flock. She sometimes hangs out with #24, but only if #24 has separated herself completely from the flock. When I put out treats, #24 won't come any closer than 5', can't be enticed to get anywhere near the group. Usually she goes to an entirely different part of the run. If any other birds come near her, she runs. Even tho the only one that's really mean to her is that blasted bully GLW. She is also afraid of me. Even if I'm away from the flock and holding out treats just for her, or even standing over treats I have laid on the ground just for her, she won't come near.

I try not to make pets out of my birds, to understand that they have to make their own way, have to work within the flock dynamics, but I'm really starting to feel bad for this poor lonely bird. I had to take the bar in front of the nesting boxes down cuz she was roosting there at night by herself rather than with the other birds. Now she's on the same roost, but not close to any of the others.

SIGH
barnie.gif

Ashley you can use either butter or margarine or lard or even cold bacon grease; doesn't have to specifically be shortening :)

Poor little girls...guess maybe that's where the expression "chicken" comes from huh? :(

Back
Top Bottom