Colored eggs

DrumstickRanchTex

Songster
6 Years
Sep 26, 2017
There used to be some easter egg chickens that laid eggs that were pastel colors including lavender, orange, yellow, blue, green, pink, and more. Now, the hatcheries are getting colored eggs from sources that breed for bright blue only. Where can someone find those chickens with the eggs in so many pastel colors?

There used to be some easter egg chickens that laid eggs that were pastel colors including lavender, orange, yellow, blue, green, pink, and more. Now, the hatcheries are getting colored eggs from sources that breed for bright blue only. Where can someone find those chickens with the eggs in so many pastel colors?
Chickens don’t lay these colors, sorry.

I agree that I've never seen lavender, orange, or yellow eggs-and very rarely true pink. If you order easter eggers, you can get a mix of blue eggs, turquoise eggs, and green eggs, with the occasional pink layer :)

I've never heard of birds laying those eggs.
The original chickens that I had that laid so many colors were from Privetts in New mexico. They changed to a supplier of easter eggers that breed for richly colored blue eggs. That was about 20 years ago. A former classmate had similar chickens but told me that the hatcheries that are near him in the midwest are also using suppliers who are focused on producing bright blue eggs.

Out of curiosity, where did you hear about all the different pastel colors?
The internet, word of mouth, and old catalog?
I bought them from a New Mexico hatchery. I’ve contacted them since but they now carry a line of easter eggers that are bred for bright blue eggs.
The easter eggers that laid many pastel colors were also sold in the midwest. A friend of mine had some but the hatchery he used changed to a new supplier and the new easter egger line was producing strictly blue eggs.

Back
Top Bottom