Colors / genetics

Who can explaine what crossing color phases will produce, example if you cross a white bird with a sparkly what do you get. Im sure this has been addressed or asked a million times just looking for anyone with solid knowledge on crossing colors or what traits will show up and what wont ect
I am following.... I have just begun my journey with Coturnix Quail and discovered so much confusing information about colors.

This is the champions-league of breeding. I cannot tell ... I just have one example for sure, as I breeded them by myself.
Italian and Tibetan results in Rosetta. Both are dominant to wildpattern, but Gold ist incomplete which results in an intermediate mature, where Tibetan is bit more intense.

The Italian on the pic is the father and the Tibetan-Tux the mother, the Rosetta in the middle their daughter (I do not breed with them anymore, just collecting eggs for eating... which I should do now 😂 ... So no worries about incest)
View attachment 2167663

Also a good example of the unpredictablity of breeding Pie Balds .... The mother is a 40/60% Tux and the daughter just has a small white beard.

Edit: as Italian is geneticly 50% Gold (Manchurian) and 50% Wildtype (Pharaoh) I had also a real dark male, where the Wildtype allel gene hits the Tibetan gene ... .

Interesting to watch this, as I just hatched out my eggs from our Italian rooster - one Rosetta hen, one just like your Tuxedo there, and one wildtype pharoh.

We got a bunch of pharohs and a bunch of Italians, and then some really interesting mixes - looks like I have a roux (?) with a white chin, and then there are two greyish chicks (barely feathered out.)

Interestingly, about half of my Italians have a "crown" pattern on their head and the other half just have the dark banding. I found this thread trying to figure out the head patterns!

Interesting to watch this, as I just hatched out my eggs from our Italian rooster - one Rosetta hen, one just like your Tuxedo there, and one wildtype pharoh.

We got a bunch of pharohs and a bunch of Italians, and then some really interesting mixes - looks like I have a roux (?) with a white chin, and then there are two greyish chicks (barely feathered out.)

Interestingly, about half of my Italians have a "crown" pattern on their head and the other half just have the dark banding. I found this thread trying to figure out the head patterns!
If you post pics we could maybe help. If I’m visualizing crown correctly, that isprobably a wild type pattern. The solid heads are probably range patterns. It’s my understanding that Tibetan is incomplete dominant so you can get some interesting blends as the generations intermingle. Like a Rosetta bird with wild (pharaoh striped) patterning.

Roux is sex linked, I may have this reversed, but I believe roux acts like recessive in males, meaning they need 2 copies, and can carry it without showing. The females only have one of the z gene spots available for roux, so only need one copy. Again I could have it reversed. So your other birds could carry it, and pass it on. If you have no roux birds at all, I think that means your roux chicks are female. I was doubting this, as I bred a red to 4 Tibetan tuxes, I got 2 roux pharaoh chicks, among others, I thought for sure they were looking male, but now at 4 1/2 weeks their chest spots haven’t faded, and they have visibly spotted pins appearing on their chests. I don’t know how Rosetta affects any of this, if at all tho.

My roux’s are looking more ladylike lol 2 or 3 days ago their chests were looking like cream developing orange, but now they have spots
ECA7F76F-B475-4F62-8477-38A7C3F9D655.jpeg
04C111B4-82C4-4189-93EB-4B9A4C5D6326.jpeg

I have a couple starting to look like ladies...but there are a few who are either just a bit behind...or are roos. I've already pulled all the wildtype roos and put them in our outdoor pen...I'll get better photos.

So in the first photo that's the group that have crowns- the two separate Italian are the little ones that have no crown... and then the last three are my anomalous birds that don't match anybody (the last one being my very favorite

I’ve never had Italians, but chicks with striped heads are wild pattern like your little silver one, the ones with eyebrows only are range pattern, and can’t be feather sexed.

Of the Italians - sure. Have seen neither speckles nor rust color on them yet.

Yes, the last three are range - I am pretty sure the pretty one with the yellow around the eyes I hope she gets to keep is a hen, she is fluffy and round and generally hen-like. The other two could go either way.

The Italians are hard to get pictures of, they are never still!

Back
Top Bottom