Colors

The DNA sequence mutates during cell division, the color is the result. If the DNA copies the mistake, then it passes it on to offspring. Eventually the "mistake" becomes the standard.
I'll go out on a limb and assume that you aren't bringing in fresh blood to your flock every season, so the bulk of your flock has shared DNA. Likewise, you always say "if I breed this to this,I get this" - so if you control the mating, you have some control of the genetics to produce what you want.

Is that why they deleted the bulk of the colors from the association's color chart? Such a disservice.
The colors got deleted along with the images because they turned control of the chart over to a person that thinks they know more about guinea colors than they actually know.

The colors got deleted along with the images because they turned control of the chart over to a person that thinks they know more about guinea colors than they actually know.
They might as well take the site down then. Not only is there very little on it, but she left the links so anyone looking has to deal with going to a link that comes up missing or errored.

They might as well take the site down then. Not only is there very little on it, but she left the links so anyone looking has to deal with going to a link that comes up missing or errored.
The International Guinea Fowl Facebook group is pretty active, not as active as Guinea Fowl Enthusiasts but consistent. There is a lot of overlap in admins between the group, like Cindy Gibson, Carl Schaler (who also breeds vulturine guinea fowl), and Jessica Farmer. I think that just between moderating these two groups, they are probably crazy busy. Just a guess on my part, but I wonder if they are putting so much into the FB groups that they don’t really have time to work on the website. However, there was just a call for high resolution pictures on the FB site, so maybe they are working at updating the website? I couldn’t tell for sure whether that picture call was for their website or some other purpose… :idunno The dearth of non-FB internet info is what led me to join these FB groups in the first place. Plus, they are busy sites and I just enjoy seeing pictures and video of guinea fowl. I’m also a member of FB BYCs, which is very different from the BYCs Internet forums. I actually don’t enjoy the FB BYCs group that much as there are just too many people, too much argumentation, and discussions are much more superficial than on the Internet forum.

The International Guinea Fowl Facebook group is pretty active, not as active as Guinea Fowl Enthusiasts but consistent. There is a lot of overlap in admins between the group, like Cindy Gibson, Carl Schaler (who also breeds vulturine guinea fowl), and Jessica Farmer. I think that just between moderating these two groups, they are probably crazy busy. Just a guess on my part, but I wonder if they are putting so much into the FB groups that they don’t really have time to work on the website. However, there was just a call for high resolution pictures on the FB site, so maybe they are working at updating the website? I couldn’t tell for sure whether that picture call was for their website or some other purpose… :idunno The dearth of non-FB internet info is what led me to join these FB groups in the first place. Plus, they are busy sites and I just enjoy seeing pictures and video of guinea fowl. I’m also a member of FB BYCs, which is very different from the BYCs Internet forums. I actually don’t enjoy the FB BYCs group that much as there are just too many people, too much argumentation, and discussions are much more superficial than on the Internet forum.
Yep, their Internet site is pretty much dead now. It is a shame because they had a lot of valuable information in their archives that never made it through when the Internet had its big change. I think the active ones pretty much only do Facebook now. Speaking about Guinea Fowl International.

The International Guinea Fowl Facebook group is pretty active, not as active as Guinea Fowl Enthusiasts but consistent. There is a lot of overlap in admins between the group, like Cindy Gibson, Carl Schaler (who also breeds vulturine guinea fowl), and Jessica Farmer. I think that just between moderating these two groups, they are probably crazy busy. Just a guess on my part, but I wonder if they are putting so much into the FB groups that they don’t really have time to work on the website. However, there was just a call for high resolution pictures on the FB site, so maybe they are working at updating the website? I couldn’t tell for sure whether that picture call was for their website or some other purpose… :idunno The dearth of non-FB internet info is what led me to join these FB groups in the first place. Plus, they are busy sites and I just enjoy seeing pictures and video of guinea fowl. I’m also a member of FB BYCs, which is very different from the BYCs Internet forums. I actually don’t enjoy the FB BYCs group that much as there are just too many people, too much argumentation, and discussions are much more superficial than on the Internet forum
That's why I banned fb over all. Either arguing has become a national pasttime, or ppl have forgotten how to have a normal conversation. But I did join IGF; paid my 20 bucks and got a lovely sticker. 🤣
I hope you're right abt their reasoning, as the interest in guineas is only increasing. I had doubts that I'd be able to sell mine here. They were gone in a day and ppl were trying to buy Rosie and the 2 I kept!
I even heard back this weekend from the folks who bought Bella's first 3-wanting more, telling me they'd become part of the family. That made me feel good. No matter that I kept telling myself it was none of my business, there was still a guilt lingering that I sold them and what if they ate them.:eek:

The group that you think are great with the color genes are making up their own names for the color genes instead of using the accepted names. There is no lavender gene. the color gene for Lavenders is the same blue gene that Coral Blues have. The difference between a Lavender and a Coral Blue is that a Lavender has at least one full dotting gene and a Coral Blue does not have a full dotting gene but does have at least one semi-dotting gene.

I have not seen any proof of what color genes a Royal Purple does or does not have. The only thing I know for sure about Royal Purples is that they do not have a full dotting gene and have at least one semi-dotting gene.

The hidden possibilities for a mating between a Lavender and a Royal Purple can be much more complex than what you describe. I have never gotten any Pearl Gray offspring from my Royal Purple. That leads me to believe that my Royal Purple does not have a gray gene.
it's normal that by crossing 2 rp you don't get pearl gray, since the semi-pearl gene is recessive. that said you can get

Back
Top Bottom