Colour change in a white pigeon

Donal2308

Chirping
Jan 19, 2020
Hello all,

I have a young bird (6 months) and he is white. I bred him from two white parents but when he feathered out he had 4 black tail feathers. Now, he's had his first moult and the black feathers have grown back as white. I never saw this before. Has anyone experienced this colour change with the first moult. Many thanks.

Thanks for the answers. The picture I have here is a full sibling to the bird in question. This one has black tips on its wings too (6 weeks old in the picture). However, I've sold this one so I won't be able to see if it changes to pure white.
I'd be interested to know if any other pigeon fanciers have seen this phenomenon.

Attachments

• IMG_20200716_130805.jpg
    IMG_20200716_130805.jpg
    641.1 KB · Views: 11
I have one similar to yours that has grown dark feathers where it was white and grown white feathers where it was dark during this molt. As you can see he’s growing in some white tail feathers but before they were all blue with black tips, and on the wings he’s growing back in white flights when before they were a grizzle color. Meanwhile on the rest of his body he’s developed more patches of color showing through the white
DE74D6BF-3075-424E-A26A-EBBC9AA3BA5D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom