Colour change?

Caves Oddities

Hatching
Dec 11, 2019
Sangudo, Alberta
I have a beautiful black australorpe cross hen (I think araucana crossed). She laid beautiful, delicate green eggs. She went thru a broody session and we broke her of it. She hasn't laid a green egg since (about three weeks). Did she stop laying? Or was the "hormonal trauma" she went thru enough to change her egg colour? Btw, my pink eggs have increased daily.

Sometimes it takes a broody a little while to start laying again. Also if she's going through a molt, or any kind of stress, egg laying can stop. Depending on where you live, the shorter days could have her taking a break for winter.
But nothing can change the egg color. If she lays green eggs, she'll always lay some shade of green. :)

Might help to up her protein too. Broody and molting are hard on them, and as was mentioned before, egg laying can stop until they get their body back into a normal rhythm. I had to do some research on it this summer as one of my black langshan went broody (I got nervous!) we let her do her thing, but upped her protein intake in her food...well I guess I did it for all of my ladies since they all eat from two feeders. Anywho, what we did was mix some game bird feed (high protein feed) that I use for my Muscovy and quail. Let us know how she does. PS, green eggs are sooooo pretty!! I had americanas who laid that blue/green color. Loved it!

All the ladies are on the 17% pellets with some pickings from the kitchen (they love mashed potatoes, celery greens and the pears the kids don't eat on time). We give them back their shells to help with calcium.
Miss Bullet (the Australorpe in question) seems to be her normal self, except for the lack of eggs. She's only around 8 months old. She had only been laying for a short time before she went broody. She had to spend 4 days in solitary confinement (LoL) before she could go back with the rest. I figured her colour changed because she seems absolutely perfect except for the lack of green eggs. But, if that's not possible, we'll just wait and see if the green come back.
Then, yesterday, we had an Isa Brown pass away, she was egg bound and we didn't figure it out fast enough. We found the answers on this website, just not soon enough.
This is an amazing tool for information. I really appreciate that people take the time to post useful things that really help out the rest of us.....THANK YOU

Sometimes it takes a broody a little while to start laying again. Also if she's going through a molt, or any kind of stress, egg laying can stop. Depending on where you live, the shorter days could have her taking a break for winter.
But nothing can change the egg color. If she lays green eggs, she'll always lay some shade of green. :)
Ditto Dat^^^...or a blue egg.(green eggs are blue shells with a brown coating)

All the ladies are on the 17% pellets
Is this a layer pellet, what's the calcium percentage?

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @Caves Oddities
(wondering about your screen name)
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-12-12_9-48-11.png

Back
Top Bottom