Colour ID please!

Somewhere_In_The_Clouds

🎶 My heart isn't sturdy but I'll be okay 🎶
Premium Feather Member
Nov 12, 2022
Australia
I'm trying to find out the colour of this rooster but I don't know polish colours that well.
If he's just a mixed colour can I please have your best guess on genetics so I would be able to put the info into the calculator.
20231120_094037.jpg
20231120_094021.jpg

Mixed color or low quality gold laced. He has some variation of spangling going on- since he lacks the columbian gene that’d make him laced, he may also have an incomplete genotype for spangling. Maybe not homozygous for Db? Cuz he’s got a black tail.

He is gold spangled, which is missing one gene from gold laced (the Columbian gene). The black tail seems to indicate partridge instead of birchen-based but that would seem impossible since gold laced in Polish is Birchen based. Maybe that just means he is heterozygous for Db then (that is just a guess that I am throwing out there.)
1700456062098.png

Mixed color or low quality gold laced. He has some variation of spangling going on- since he lacks the columbian gene that’d make him laced, he may also have an incomplete genotype for spangling. Maybe not homozygous for Db? Cuz he’s got a black tail.
Thank you for your reply! I do want to know the genes that are responsible for his pattern as that's still important, but the main thing I would like confirmation on is, he's Gold based?

He is gold spangled, which is missing one gene from gold laced (the Columbian gene). The black tail seems to indicate partridge instead of birchen-based but that would seem impossible since gold laced in Polish is Birchen based. Maybe that just means he is heterozygous for Db then (that is just a guess that I am throwing out there.)
View attachment 3687553
Using this information and playing with the calculator I may have found something helpful?
The goal of asking this question is I was wondering if my accidental Polkies were sexlinked. The silkie hen is Silver.
The only thing that confused me was all three chicks are different but I believe the Db is why.
When I put him in the cross as Db/db+ I get three colours of offspring yellow males, gold females, and black both male and female. I believe this fits perfectly the three chicks, but I'm still learning genetics so does this sound right to anyone else?

Using this information and playing with the calculator I may have found something helpful?
The goal of asking this question is I was wondering if my accidental Polkies were sexlinked. The silkie hen is Silver.
The only thing that confused me was all three chicks are different but I believe the Db is why.
When I put him in the cross as Db/db+ I get three colours of offspring yellow males, gold females, and black both male and female. I believe this fits perfectly the three chicks, but I'm still learning genetics so does this sound right to anyone else?
Yep that does fit perfectly. And I'm glad to hear the confirmation that he is heterozygous for Db, I guess that means my suspicions are correct.

That would be a sex-linked cross, aside from the black chicks. If they have leakage, you could sex them that way, but it takes longer than directly at hatch, I believe.
Yep that does fit perfectly. And I'm glad to hear the confirmation that he is heterozygous for Db, I guess that means my suspicions are correct.
Both of us probably guessed correctly. That‘s exciting! I’m just awful at how I word things lol. Polish and their colors are probably one of the more fun things to guess on in my opinion. The phenotype a bird from a laced pen can present is so wildly chaotic sometimes, it’s fun to look at.

That would be a sex-linked cross, aside from the black chicks. If they have leakage, you could sex them that way, but it takes longer than directly at hatch, I believe.

Both of us probably guessed correctly. That‘s exciting! I’m just awful at how I word things lol. Polish and their colors are probably one of the more fun things to guess on in my opinion. The phenotype a bird from a laced pen can present is so wildly chaotic sometimes, it’s fun to look at.
Oh yeah, I didn’t even see you mentioned that he might be het for Db.

Awesome! I'm surprised it took me so long to come to this realization considering I've done Gold/Silver sex linking several times before :rolleyes:
It would appear I have 1 boy, 1 girl and an unknown, though I did think I saw bits of leakage that looked gold.
20231119_175702.jpg

20231119_175643.jpg

20231119_175725.jpg

Polish and their colors are probably one of the more fun things to guess on in my opinion. The phenotype a bird from a laced pen can present is so wildly chaotic sometimes, it’s fun to look at.
The polish isn't actually mine (that's why I've never bothered with what his colour is till this point), he belongs to a family member but he has certainly produced some interesting mixed colours in his chicks.

Back
Top Bottom