Columbian Wyandotte vs Brahma?

Most of my light brahma chicks(bantams) are smokey gray with some white, I've only had one or two ever that were solid white. Maybe the standard chicks are white? I've hatched around fifty this year. Rareroo, do you breed brahmas?

60393_resize_chick_1.jpg

60393_resize_chick_2.jpg

This is typical of a quality light brahma chick. I think maybe the hatchery birds that are poorly colored as adults may start out white as chicks. I can post some adult pics if you would like. Or you can check out the Brahma thread on the "breeds, genetics,showing" section-lots of pics there.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi I was referring to LF Brahams and no I do not breed them but all the LF Brahma chicks I have ever seen were solid white with maybe a little grey on the chicks. I've never saw bantam brahma chicks but the ones you posted look kinda like the color I was decribing for the Wyandottes, its a really cute color. But regardless, chick colors aside, the best indication would be be the presents or absence of legg feathering.

Here's two of our birds to show comparison of a bantam wyandotte and brahma:

Light Brahma bantam cock:

P1010042-3.jpg

Columbian Wyandotte hen:

Gretel.jpg

If the cock were standing up like he should be, their profile is fairly similar. A brahma will be a looser feathered bird then a wyandotte, but the wyandotte is far from tight feathered.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the pictures! I guess I didn't realize that you can have the same coloring in different breeds. I was thinking that the breed determined the coloring but it appears that the coloring is only part of the deal.

Quote:
Thanks for the pictures! I guess I didn't realize that you can have the same coloring in different breeds. I was thinking that the breed determined the coloring but it appears that the coloring is only part of the deal.

EXACTLY! Different breeds with genetically the same color varieties are sometimes called different names. About the only thing you won't find with a breed specific twist on a color variety is black or white.

Quote:

EXACTLY! Different breeds with genetically the same color varieties are sometimes called different names. About the only thing you won't find with a breed specific twist on a color variety is black or white.

Very good
smile.png

I'm very excited to get my little Columbian Wyandotte chicks next week. I told my husband that I was sure that poultry was the traditional gift for 12 yrs of marriage. It is right?!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom