columbian wyandotte?

knabtastic

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 14, 2014
Northern Texas
We were told when we bought this pullet that she was a columbian wyandotte, but when I researched the breed I learned that they are supposed to have a flat-ish comb sort of like a rose. Our bird has a regular stand up type comb so I'm thinking she's not the breed we were told she was. Any one have any insight on this?

Full body pic of her standing would give a better idea.

She has the color pattern called Delaware though. It is Columbian pattern plus barring. The Delaware breed has this but it can show up in a mix.

I think you are absolutely right about the Delaware thing! I looked up that breed and she looks very much like that type of bird. Her tail feathers are black and white striped as are her wing feathers (when you pull her wing out all the way). It's dark now and our hens have all gone to bed, but I will post a better picture tomorrow.

She looks like a mix. Columbian is usually restricted to the hackles, tail and wings[in hatchery birds it can be a little leaky, but it doesnt usually cover the whole back], but when the birds get mixed it becomes 'extended' and can go over into the back like that. Dominant white like in leghorns can also show color through in places, so she could also be leghorn/barred rock, though the barring seems a bit dark for that.

Last edited:
Where did she come from? If from a hatchery, I'd say a poorer-quality Delaware. If from a breeder, either that or likely a mixed breed bird with some barring in the ancestry. My hen has more color than yours, she's a mixed breed...

We bought her from a local chicken guy who gets his stock from hatcheries. Looks like he ordered columbian wyandotte's but got some variation. We don't mind. Hedwig is beautiful and has a great personality so we are very pleased with her.

Back
Top Bottom