Columbian wyandottes

ShaggyRay....your bird is not a Buff Columbian. A buff is a yellow/gold colored base and marked like a Columbian. I suspect your bird is a cross of some kind...the barring and saddle feathers makes me thing a Barred Rock and a Wyandotte.....it almost looks cuckoo.

Okay, I only have wyandottes. My partridge rooster had a silver penciled, two columbians, two partridge, and a white in with him. Can the whites hide wierd color genetics that come out after breeding? I will do a little more research but he is not barred either.

I have about 150 hatched in the columbians. Just started the culling of males and a few females. I always put the females I do not want or can use in the breeding pens into my layer pen and then sell them to one of the back yard chicken people. Things so far are looking pretty good and I will have to raise them up for a while in order to cull out more. I did do some trading of eggs with a couple of people and can't wait to see what their line looks like.

Howdy folks...looking to start a quality ("heritage") flock of Columbian Wyondottes. I am in San Antonio, Tx, so if anyone in the area or out of the area, I am willing to drive to pick them up or if you are willing to ship, that's cool too, I am interested.
D.gif

I am thinking about possibly showing this rooster in the future. What do you guys think of him? Please critique him. Te only thing I have noticed is I think he has a putty comb but im not sure?.
Thanks

Thought I would post some photos of this year's progeny. Here is some history: Started with a rooster and 4 hens from a closed flock purchased from a breeder who had them for about 10 years. He had purchased his breeders from a long time Oklahoma breeder. So I am the third to have this line. The first year I hatched 25 chicks and kept one pullet. Then in Dec 2012 set breeding pens with 3 of the original hens (lost one due to extreme drought temperatures) and the daughter. Hatched 100 chicks and so far have reduced down to two cockerels and 7 pullets. There are about 20 juveniles from a late hatch still to go thru final review.

The original parents:

Some of the saved birds. These birds are Late January - March hatch and the pullets are beginning to lay.:

The two young cockerels are 7 and 8 months old

Besides the Columbian, there are Blue, Black, Birchen and Blue Columbian in the pens from this year's projects. Makes for a colorful flock.

Back
Top Bottom