Columbian?

Could someone please tell me what "Columbian" means, when included in a chicken breed name?

B. M. Briggs of Woonsocket, RI, developed the original Columbian Wyandotte in 1893. Mr. Briggs selected the name to honor the Columbian Exposition and World's Fair held in Chicago, IL, in that year. J. H. Devenstedt reported in the 1896 publication, Poultry Item, a history of the variety supplied by Mr. Briggs. "My name has always been associated with White Wyandottes, in consequence of my venture in breeding White sports from my Silver Laced variety, which appears occasionally in my broods. The rise and popularity of the White Wyandotte needs no words from me -- Nine years ago I sold a lot of White Wyandottes to an amateur fancier in Western New York who lived near me and who tried Barred Plymouth Rocks. By a mishap a cross was effected by a Barred Plymouth Rock hen and one of the White Wyandotte males, and as a result of the cross two females were hatched with clean legs, pencilled hackle and a body inclined to be white. I accepted this as a prophecy of something to come by having the general makeup of White Wyandottes with pencilled hackle and black tail, or a fowl having the color of a light Brahma and the type of the Wyandotte. I purchased these pullets, and in the following spring mated them to a fine White Wyandotte male and was pleased and encouraged by the result obtained. I could see the ideal fowl about to be realized." Mr. Briggs made it clear in his report that no Light Brahma was used in developing his stain of Columbian Wyandotte. In 1905, the year admitted to the American Standard, 115 Columbian Wyandottes were exhibited. The plumage of the Columbian Wyandotte is white lacing on black feathers of the hackle, black in the primary feathers of the wings, white lacing on black feathers in the saddle of the male, and black main tail feathers on the main tail feathers of both male and female.

I got this info from Feathersite in the history of Wyandottes section.
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wyand/WyandSPPADec01.html

Columbian color is the pattern on many breeds or varieties such as:

Lt. Sussex, Lt.Brahma, Columbian Plymouth Rocks,and other comparable patterns on many others.

CO is the genetic abbreviation for Columbian a very potent color dilution gene.

Jeff

Last edited:
Well said, Jeff! Columbian expresses differently if the bird is built on the eWh or eb (Brown) locus. In eWh varieties such as the Light Sussex, the undercolor is pure white to the skin. In varieties based on eb, the undercolor has some hue of color and often the birds have black stippling on the back and/or saddle feathers.
It does make a difference if the variety includes the white gene or the silver gene. If the silver gene is used, as in Light Sussex ( eWh/ eWh S/S Co/Co, the birds should not get a brassy or slight yellowish cast to their white feathers from the weather. If the bird has the white gene instead of the silver gene in its genome, then weather can cause this slight yellowish cast or brassiness to the white feathers.
Best,
Karen

HUUMMM
Glad I read this.Confused now though.
I have Palomino Bantam Brahmas They are red with white hackle and tail feathers where it should be black on a Buff Brahma

I notice it says Columbian is white on the black hackle feathers not instead of and a black tail
I thought "Columbian" was the black hackle feathers rather than self not a color type but a pattern
So close to the Columbian subject Palomino.......Does anyone know if the PALOMINO coloring breeds true or can be hit and miss?.Can it revert back to black hackles and tail feathers?
I bought these "Palomino eggs" (now chickens ) because i saw these chickens online and liked the coloration of the hens and roo but dont know a thing about it .
Trying to educate myself on the gene since the 2 roos came out like Buff Brahmas Ive been told.
They have no white ....but nobody seems to have much to say on them gene wise but i know they arent really common.
Would like to sell them but dont know what to say about these buff looking roos.
Do they carry the palomino gene or not? If not i dont even want t o breed them to my own Palomino hens
Contacted the breeder once about this but he never returned my email.

Any info AT ALL would be appreciated Also what does a BUFF BRAHMA roo look like exactly?Anyone know?Pic?

Just an educated guess, but I would think your "palaminos"
are a gold columbian with dominant white
Since dominant white (I) is dominant it can hide i+ (black/wildtype)
A strain could easily be developed which would breed true
that would involve test breedings to see which birds were pure
for dominant white.
Evidently the birds which produced yours were not.

Just an educated guess, but I would think your "palaminos"
are a gold columbian with dominant white
Since dominant white (I) is dominant it can hide i+ (black/wildtype)
A strain could easily be developed which would breed true
that would involve test breedings to see which birds were pure
for dominant white.
Evidently the birds which produced yours were not.
Thank you so much Great help on breeding them .Saw a "Lemon Pyle " online. Look a LOT like the Palomino but a little black in the tail but white hackles.Females identical
Seems there is very little difference in some of the colors. Live and learn

Back
Top Bottom