Comb changing color with relaxing

Hinotori

Silver Feathers
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Graham, WA
Is it normal for the comb and facial skin on chickens to go pale when they relax? I have one girl who's decided she loves getting petted, and she will jump up and lay down on me. As she relaxes and settles in, her skin goes from red to pale. She doesn't seem in any distress. No worms, lice or anything. She just lays there talking to me as I pet her. After she's jumps down, the color comes back.

Is it just relaxation? She's only one of two that snuggle like that, and the other is a silkie so I can't see any color changing on her.

That is amazing----
I have noticed color changes in the area around the eyes on my Barred Rocks, but I more associated it with stress, when it is ferociously hot and I first let them free range or put them in their play pen---they see to be paler-- First thing in the morning they are very red.

Hope someone with expertise on this comes up with an answer.

Because I'm aware of it now, I was watching her today when she'd jump up. Same thing as yesterday both times. Settles in and relaxes and you can just watch the color fade. Little eyes close and she's off for a nap.

My girls do the same thing. If they are agitated or excited their faces, get very red and as they settle down they fade to a pale pink or yellow and their combs go light pink. I have several that have their combs and wattles coming in (my girls are 17 weeks old) and theirs stay red but there are a few who still change color.

From my experience it is totally normal and linked to their being very active, excited or agitated.

all my girls do that .. they get pale, I have one that gets pail and coo's in my lap while being petted.. my dark Brahma Rooster would purr.. yes purr just like a cat.. when he was being stroked and petted..
love.gif
he love to sit on my lap... I miss him this darn heat got him..
hit.gif

Pink

When you think about it, humans get flushed in the face when they are active, and that flush fades when they relax. It makes sense to me that a chicken's wattles/comb would, too. Great ... now I have to go hypnotize a spazzy chicken and see if it works! Where oh where did that adolescent BCM roo go?.........................

My BO TOTALLY does that. My JG does it a little. But she really isn't crazy about being held so I never really get her to relax.

But my BO practically turns pasty white while she's all content in my lap.

We have a 10 wk old BO who changes from light red to pale creamy pink when she is picked up and held, and a Dominique that come over to our feet, lightly cooing to be picked up, changes from light pink to pale cream and falls asleep. The Dom has done this since she was a baby chick, and earned the name, Lap-a Doodle. Several of our SS are just starting to come to us to be petted or picked up. We don't notice any color change though.

Since so many of our chicks are independent and don't want to be held or touched we enjoy the ones who do.

Back
Top Bottom