1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

????comb color on layers???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofdrew, Oct 8, 2008.

1. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

I read some where here that the girls combs go red when they are ready to lay????... my silkie girls don't have combs or wattles yet that I can see... they are almost 6 months old...

2. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Silkies are a little bit different. With their black skin you will not be able to see red. Silkie hens typically have a small comb and the bearded ones usually have real tiny wattles. The non-bearded ones usually have small wattles.

My silkie hens have started laying anywhere from 6 months to 8 months of age.

3. momofdrew

Thanks peepsnbunnies

I am so hoping that they start to lay before winter sets in...I know silkies aren't the best layers but I am really looking forward to that first egg...

should I start putting a light on in the coop so they will lay before spring???

4. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    I am not sure about the light. I live in FL and all my chickies lay year round. You can try letting them go a little longer and see if they will start laying and if they don't you can try a light then. Is it getting real cold there yet?

Lisa [​IMG]

5. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I recently read about the variety of combs in the Murray McMurray Hatchery catalog/magazine. There are at least 6 types of combs they did picture it on page 6 of the 2008 catalog. But I'm not sure about what the size and color does mean. I have some hens with large red combs that are not laying yet. One with a large red comb is laying, but the others are not. The hen with the largest comb hasn't even started laying any eggs yet. Then one RIR hen with a small-to-medium light red comb is already laying for almost a week now. I'm still trying to find more info myself. Good luck with your hens.

Omran.

6. momofdrew

peepsnbunnies

Night time temps are around 40...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by