Comb glossy and purple in just one small area, not laying

rjacob

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2024
Hasn't laid an egg in a week, walking and running normal, eating fine, talking too much as usual, but not acting broody either (with the others' eggs, we have no rooster). 2 year old. No apparent distress, eyes look good, breathing okay. I didn't see any bugs or mites underwing or around vent. Per my digital exam she is not egg bound (and is walking running scratching preening all fine). She may have gotten a hold of a bit of aluminum fowl it looks like not cure if she ate it or the trash that she found was only there in part. Poop in the coop and run all look normal.

Last edited:
Hasn't laid an egg in a week, walking and running normal, eating fine, talking too much as usual, but not acting broody either (with the others' eggs, we have no rooster). 2 year old. No apparent distress, eyes look good, breathing okay. I didn't see any bugs or mites underwing or around vent. Per my digital exam she is not egg bound (and is walking running scratching preening all fine). She may have gotten a hold of a bit of aluminum fowl it looks like not cure if she ate it or the trash that she found was only there in part. Poop in the coop and run all look normal.
Your hen might be taking a break from laying. If the vet said she isn't egg bound, and if she is active and eating, drinking, and pooping, don't worry too much.

Changes in weather, temp, hormones, and if the hen is molting are all factors.

If your hen was egg bound she would have very visible symptoms the day of egg boundness. They are found not moving, hunched over and very lethargic.

You can encourage her to take calcium if you are worried. You can use 300 mg-600 mg of calcium citrate pills from your pharmacy, or oyster shells. If she does get egg bound or is egg bound, the contractions from the calcium will help. It'll also help her develop an egg if she is trying to. Although, your hen seems fine and just taking a break.

The comb issue could be a scab from a pecking wound that is healing and results in a shiny little patch. Feel free to attach pics!

Back
Top Bottom