Comb injured! Will it heal?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wyandottes7, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I let one of my cockerels out today with the hens so that he could get some practice mating them, as I am going to breed them this fall, and he is a bit awkward and clumsy (he hasn't gotten the hang of jumping on top of them/holding on). He mated one of my pullets, and, in the process, injured her comb. She has a rose comb, and he gouged out a small piece of the top. Its just a small injury (a little more than 1/16 of an inch square, and even less deep), but the flesh is missing. The bleeding wasn't bad, and she's fine now (no chickens are picking on her as far as I know). However, my question is, will this heal? Will one part of her comb always be sunken in slightly because its missing a piece of skin/flesh? Or, will it heal and look smooth and even again? Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    When a piece of comb is bitten or torn off it will never grow back. It will scab over and heal to a point but only a portion of the comb that was there will appear, if at all. On growing birds the comb may grow back but on older ones, nope.

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Yikes, hope she heals quickly!

4. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Those young boys can be a real nuisance. My coro sussex pulled one of his hens comb's so hard that it became unattached half way along. There was a lot of blood, but it has healed now. We now call her flopsy.

5. silkie2001

silkie2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2014
    Phoenix ax
    Hope she gets well:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by