Comb Question!

Smashley24

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2023
It’s normal for 2 pullets the same breed and age to have very different combs, right? We got these 2 from a local hardware store back in April (they came from Hoover’s Hatchery, I believe). They were labeled Midnight Majesty Marans. I’m still learning and just want to make sure they’re healthy and developing appropriately. 😅

Attachments

• EFBD1B9B-3567-4B69-B8C1-26C64009CBDA.jpeg
    EFBD1B9B-3567-4B69-B8C1-26C64009CBDA.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 94
May need better photos, but your problem is that one’s a cockerel and one’s a pullet. Could you get a side view of the one on the right?

They were labeled Midnight Majesty Marans.
They're a hybrid and may not breed true as indicated by Hoover's statement that some have feathered legs and others do not. So some variation may not be unusual.

My first thought was also the big combed one may be a cockerel and lets see the saddle feathers.. but they are sex linked and males are barred... IF stated breed is accurate.. we do see mix ups all the time.

May need better photos, but your problem is that one’s a cockerel and one’s a pullet. Could you get a side view of the one on the right?
I wondered that a while back, but apparently cockerels would be barred?

Attachments

• AD98466F-B62B-4840-8D14-350B032A3A1A.png
    AD98466F-B62B-4840-8D14-350B032A3A1A.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 20
At four months, there should definitely be some pointy feathers going on there. I say she’s a pullet. As for the comb difference, I don’t think there’s anything to worry about. One is just a quick developer, and the other is slower. I imagine you’ll get some eggs from the big-combed pullet pretty soon, and the other may take a few more weeks. They both look nice and healthy though!

At four months, there should definitely be some pointy feathers going on there. I say she’s a pullet. As for the comb difference, I don’t think there’s anything to worry about. One is just a quick developer, and the other is slower. I imagine you’ll get some eggs from the big-combed pullet pretty soon, and the other may take a few more weeks. They both look nice and healthy though!
Thank you!

You can expect some (even a lot) of variance in size of comb from a group of birds from the same hatchery. Here are the Midnight Majesty Marans hens I used to have. They were about 18 months old when these photos were taken. I've had similar variances in every type of bird I've had also.

Attachments

• IMG_1308.JPEG
    IMG_1308.JPEG
    708.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1312.JPEG
    IMG_1312.JPEG
    625.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1314.JPEG
    IMG_1314.JPEG
    597.9 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom