Comb scabs

nerd0geekboyz

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 15, 2011
NorCal
I recently found that my Delaware had, what looked like, a scab on her comb.

I put some antibiotic ointment on it and have been monitoring it.

It simply looks like a simple scab, however I could be wrong. Anyone have any thoughts on what is causing this scabbing on her comb?

82770_img_0671.jpg

Usually these are either a pecking injury or dry fowl pox, which doesn't really need any treatment. For either one, your treatment would be appropriate. This looks to me like a pecking injury -- or another injury of some sort; chickens are good at injuring themselves on things we never think would cause harm. He could have done something like walked under something low that had a rough edge, for example.

Fowl pox is a virus carried by mosquitoes. If that's what it is, you should see lesions on most of your chickens, it will go away on its own in 3 weeks, and then those chickens will be immune for life. Antibiotic ointment or Betadine (once for the Betadine) are sometimes used to prevent a secondary infection; it won't affect a viral lesion. Mine had fowl pox one summer, I treated them once to prevent infection, and one morning the lesions just suddenly weren't there any more.

Thank you. I have now separated the more hostile bird (RIR) from my Delaware and Ameraucana as it the injury got worse after I applied ointment.

I am also thinking that I need to provide more room on the roost and my mini run.

82770_img_0689.jpg

Quote:
thank you for that information. I thought FP was something to be really worried about, and to get them vaccinated for. I haven't gotten them vaccinated, and see a tiny bluish mark on one of the pullets combs. I'll watch it to see if it spreads. Good to know though, if it is FP, it goes away in 3 weeks, and then your birds have immunity.

Back
Top Bottom