1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. HeatherEmme

HeatherEmme Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    Yesterday I noticed that my BO's head looked very dirty. Upon closer inspection I realized it was dried blood from what looks to be a tear in the back part of her comb. Part of it is still dangling on.

I washed the wound as best I could with warm soapy water. She let me get some of the dried blood off. I sprayed it with vetericyn and then put on a bit of blue kote. There wasn't any real way to bandage up her head so I left it open.

Is there any more I could or should do for it?

It's about 50ish degrees out but it's expected to snow tomorrow. I imagine the girls will be stuck in their coop and I'm worried about them pecking her, which is where I believe she got the injury in the first place. Seems she made it fine over night with them though. I find that since the winter when they've had little vegetation and sun light, they become bored and agitated and pick on the BO more often. I find we didn't have much of this problem in the summer. Any tips on how to keep them from bullying her?

Thanks!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is difficult this time of year when they won't or can't go outside much. The more docile ones tend to get picked on. Just make sure that they have enough room in their coop, and try to hang some cabbage or fruit to peck at. Give them some things to explore. I will throw a little scratch around the coop daily for them to hunt and find. If you have too many in there or there is an aggressive one, maybe re-homing some would be helpful. The comb will probably be fine whether you put Neosporin ointment or other medicines or not. I have had rooster with injured combs who were to wild to catch heal fine. Grabbing them off the roost at night is the best time to doctor them.

3. HeatherEmme

HeatherEmme Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    Thank you so much for the response! My BO is my favorite hen and I've been so worried about her.

4. LOTSAGIRLS8

LOTSAGIRLS8 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2012
    Is it okay to use Neosporin on their comb? I have a hen that is getting pecked at too and
    Vetricin is just not in the budget right now.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Just make sure it is the plain Neosporin without painkiller.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She should be fine, chickens get comb injuries all the time. Just keep the wound clean and watch for infection or signs of other chickens picking at it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by