Comb turning purple

Mikey D

Songster
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
Apache Junction AZ
8 month old production red that I fell in love with and kept.

She lays almost every day and is very friendly.

She has no behavioral changes but this AM I noticed the back of her comb is turning purple.

No other symptoms.

We live in AZ and temps are already over 100. The chickens have a bunch of shade, fresh water and a mister.

Any ideas?

This happens to my rooster all the time. It comes and goes. I've seen it in other chickens of mine as well over the years, with no ill effects. I think it is a circulation issue, but I'm not sure. None of my chickens that had it died early or anything. My roos who has it now will be 5 or 6 this year. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

This happens to my rooster all the time. It comes and goes. I've seen it in other chickens of mine as well over the years, with no ill effects. I think it is a circulation issue, but I'm not sure. None of my chickens that had it died early or anything. My roos who has it now will be 5 or 6 this year. I don't think it's anything to worry about.
Thank you Unknown!

It seems to be purple in the AM and goes back to bright red in the afternoon.

I noticed this with our roo (never with any of the hens), and it seems to occur at random and always with the very back edge of his comb. It's not very prominent, but if you're close to him you can see a bit of purplish tinge now and again. His behavior/activity level, etc. never changes, though. It's happened twice in the two months that we've had him now.

Can be a sign of underlying subclinical infection (like MG), can be cardiac insufficiency, but can also be just that particular bird.
When I've seen it in the past it was in a flock infected with MG; however other causes include too much ammonia in the roost area, or it can just be one bird's response to particular weather conditions or even her laying status.

I wouldn't worry unless there are other respiratory signs, but I'd keep an eye on it.

best wishes,
Erica

Can be a sign of underlying subclinical infection (like MG), can be cardiac insufficiency, but can also be just that particular bird.
When I've seen it in the past it was in a flock infected with MG; however other causes include too much ammonia in the roost area, or it can just be one bird's response to particular weather conditions or even her laying status.

I wouldn't worry unless there are other respiratory signs, but I'd keep an eye on it.

best wishes,
Erica
Thanks Erica.

It's only her but I'll clean out the coop this weekend JIC.

Mikey

Back
Top Bottom