combining 2 groups of chickens of different ages

mvs21

Hatching
May 18, 2020
Hello:

I have 6 chickens that are about 9-10 weeks old and have been living in the coop for about 3 weeks. I have 4 younger chickens, who are about 7 weeks old, who are still in the brooder in the basement. I really want them to move outside to the coop, as they are getting big and the brooder is small. What's the best way to transition them out to the coop?

Thanks!

If you only have the two spaces, flip them around, put the older girls where the younger girls are.

Or let the older girls out into the yard, locking the younger girls in the run/coop set up. Do this in the morning, feed along the fence line. This allows the younger girls to explore without being chased. I would set up some hideouts, and two or three feeding spots.

Then near dark, let the older ones in. Truthfully I would not expect much, they are very close in age. Might be some bluster, but let that go. Get down early in the morning, and keep an eye on them.

Mrs K

If you only have the two spaces, flip them around, put the older girls where the younger girls are.

Or let the older girls out into the yard, locking the younger girls in the run/coop set up. Do this in the morning, feed along the fence line. This allows the younger girls to explore without being chased. I would set up some hideouts, and two or three feeding spots.

Then near dark, let the older ones in. Truthfully I would not expect much, they are very close in age. Might be some bluster, but let that go. Get down early in the morning, and keep an eye on them.

Mrs K

Thank you for the thoughtful advice!!!

Back
Top Bottom