Combining baby chicks

4chicks

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 24, 2008
We are getting baby chicks but since we are only getting 6 we will be getting them from our local feed store. Unfortunately the store will not be getting the types of chickens we want all at the same time. They will be getting some next week and the others not until 2 weeks later. My question is do I need to keep each batch of chicks separate? I am thinking since they will need different temps they will need to bee separate. I appreciate any thoughts about this....

Yes, it will be better for several reasons. One, the temperature will need to be warmer for the day olds than the two week olds and two, chicks grow so quickly that the two week olds will be to big to add day olds in with. They will more than likely pick on your day olds.

Separate brooders will work out much better and save you headache in the long run.
wink.png

Your brooder should be set up to allow the chicks to get under the light for heat and yet have enough room for them to get completely away from the heat, if they need to. This would allow for the differing warmth requirements. However, age differences may be a problem if the older chicks bully the younger ones. Try to get them as close to the same age as possible and be sure to watch them for signs of trouble. A little scrapping is acceptable, but just be sure it doesn`t get out of hand.

I'm in the same boat, getting a few day olds this weekend to mix with my 3 weekers. When can we put them together? I'm hoping to combine them in a few weeks so they get used to each other before going out in the coop -- is that feasible?

I want to eventually put mine together too. Can anyone give me an idea as to what age they would be able to get along. I also have a flock of 1 year old chickens. When would I be able to put the new ones with them?

Back
Top Bottom