Combining bird groups and food question

NM Renee

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 22, 2009
Placitas, NM
We have 3 one-year old hens (2 RIR and 1 Lt Brahma) and 2 14-week old BO pullets. We got the new pullets at 8 weeks and they have been quarantined until about a week ago. Now they are living in a temporary coop next to the big girls so they can get to know one another through the fence. In about a week we plan on putting the young ones in with the older ones. They do not free range unfortunately. Too many coyotes, dogs and bobcats right here.

The little girls have been eating grower crumblies. And the big girls are on layer feed. When we put them in together, they will presumably eat the same food since we can't keep them separate.

Is it okay to give 15 week old pullets layer feed? I need to go buy feed and wasn't sure if I should buy another bag of crumblies for the little gals...

Thanks!!

I have an all purpose feed that's supposed to be for chicks AND laying hens. I supplement this with free choice oyster shell. No health issues that I know of... so I think it's worked well! My eggs are still looking as beautiful as ever!

Young chickens grow so fast filtering out the extra calcium in layer feed can damage their kidneys.

If you can get flock raiser of something similar that's great. Otherwise use chick feed and have oyster shell free choice.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom