Combining full sized with bantams?

Poultron1

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 17, 2012
Hello,
I am looking to purchase chicks (maybe from "mypetchicken.com" ?) and want to mix the flock of 6-9 chicks from different breeds. My daughters want pets and I want eggs so we are choosing docile, nice, egg layers. I am in Pennsylvania, so hardy helps also.

In choosing our mixed flock...can I combine full size with bantams? Will I have issues with bigger bullying little?

Thank you for your time.

Poultron1

The only problem I had with mixing Bantams with Standards was when my rather large RIR Cross Roo developed a crush on my Rosecomb Bantam Hen. His attempts to mount and mate her could have proved fatal for my tiny bantam if they had not been separated! Good luck :)

When raised together bantams and standard birds can generally be maintained without a problem. Yes, there will be bullying and maybe the bantams will be on the bottom of the pecking order - or maybe not. There is always the possibility of bantam hens being injured by massive standard roosters.

I have a bantam frizzle cochin in with my large fowl. He/she does fine with the big girls. If they are raised together, they are very friendly with eachother, and even if not, integration can be sucessful.
smile.png

edit: oh, and Karma (my frizzle) is currently the only bantam in a group of 20 chickens.

Last edited:
Some bantam breeds lay just as well or better than large-fowl breeds. My BS bantam rocks lay better than my chantecler hen! Many bantam breeds that have a LF counterpart lay well and lay large eggs. They eat less feed and lay just as much!

I actually was wondering the same thing you were a few weeks ago. Well they showed me....

I have a new coop that we just built one side is for bantams and one side is for the big hens ( egg layers).....well a few weeks after move in the big hens decide to roost on the rafters. (Will be fixed soon..)keep in mind that they can see eachother through chicken wire walls. So every morning I find 1 or 2 big hens in with my bantys keep in mind the banty hens are like whatthe big hens chicks would be.
lol.png

Lets just say the bantys kick the big girls butt! But my little bantam rooster is in heaven, which Im not happy about because Im afraid my "selling" eggs will be fertile....

To answer your question YES they can live together either raised together or slowly integrated purposely or not. :)

Back
Top Bottom