Combining turkey groups

Mylied

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Middle Georgia
I have 2 several year old turkeys, a tom and hen. I also have 4 younger turkeys less than 6 months old, 2 hens and 2 toms. Can I combine them in a big area without fighting or will they tear each other up like chickens?

You will need to pen the young ones where they can be seen for a few weeks, before trying to see how they get along. Tom's generally are fine and will often look after poults. Hens on the other hand can be viscous depending on their moods and personality. Sometimes it's easy, and sometimes it takes a bit longer. I definitely wouldn't just put them all together.

I have 2 several year old turkeys, a tom and hen. I also have 4 younger turkeys less than 6 months old, 2 hens and 2 toms. Can I combine them in a big area without fighting or will they tear each other up like chickens?
I would also recommend that you get rid of two of the toms before breeding season starts next spring. 3 hens and 3 toms is a good recipe for lots of fights, poor fertility and injured hens. Individual toms can vary but one tom can easily handle as many as 10 hens.

The younger toms are destined to be thanksgiving dinner. They've always been in sight of each other. The smaller ones are in a dog run next to where the bigger ones roam. They've just outgrown their space and I don't want to process anyone yet. My adult hen has always got along with anything I've added, including chickens. She's pretty relaxed. I just haven't combined groups of turkeys before. Last time I had her raise the poults. This time they were too old to give to her.

Back
Top Bottom