Combo coop design for meaties and layers

NorthwoodsChick

Fowl play will 🐝 encouraged 🐥🐔
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2021
UP Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Hi there. I am planning to build my own coop and would want about 6 layers and maybe 20-30 cornish cross meaties. I want to keep them separate in the coop so I thinking about duplex-like design with a human door (dutch style) separating the interior. This is a brainstorm idea and I'm not sure if it is realistic, possible or advisable. My build spot is on top of a ridge, wind is an issue but I will use the southside of a pole barn for windbreak. Building lower is not an option due to snow drift/depth in winter. Anyway...if anyone has an idea, pics or opinion I would love to hear it. Plenty of time to scrap plans, btw..no chicks for me until Spring 2022. Thanks in advance 😊

Welcome to BYC. A year ahead is a GREAT time to start researching and planning.

Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters -- especially when designing the coop.
Thank you! I live in the UP of Michigan..cold, snow from Nov through April. Temps in winter average 10 celcius but can easily get to -10 or more in late Feb and March as skies tend to be clear at night then. (Awesome northern lights). I plan on insulating the roof with foam board and deeper layers of bedding. Winter is my biggest concern because it gets windy as my house and all outbuildings sit on a bluff, so that means drifts and increased wind chill effect, which can get to -30 at the extreme.

Might want to think about a 'Woods' coop.
@jthornton has a good copy of the book.
@Ted Brown is the most recent builder of a Woods:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-kd-knock-down-10-by-16-coop-pictorial.75421/

UP of Michigan
Welcome to BYC! @NorthwoodsChick .... 'troll neighbor here'.
Here's show to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1622074464593.png

I am planning to build my own coop and would want about 6 layers and maybe 20-30 cornish cross meaties. I want to keep them separate in the coop so I thinking about duplex-like design with a human door (dutch style) separating the interior.

Winter is my biggest concern because it gets windy as my house and all outbuildings sit on a bluff, so that means drifts and increased wind chill effect, which can get to -30 at the extreme.

I like the idea of dividing the coop.

I suggest you only raise the Cornish Cross in the summer months. Since you'll be butchering them at about 8 weeks old, there's no need to keep them through the winter at all.

And then the layers can use the entire space in the winter, when they cannot go outside in a run.

The usual advice for space:
--4 square feet per adult hen in the coop (sleeping, egg laying, safe from predators, used all year long and in all weather.)
--10 square feet per adult hen in the run (daytime only, usually not as predator-proof as the coop.)
--2 or more square feet per Cornish Cross in their area

So you would provide at least 24 square feet of space for the 6 layers, for their coop.
And build a run at least 60 square feet for the layers to use in the summer.
Plus at least 60 square feet for the meaties to use in the summer, and that's also the right size for the layers to use as an alternate "run" in the winter.

For the layers: provide nestboxes for the eggs, roosts to sleep on, food and water, and some source of light (windows or electric light.) Some of those things take up floor space, so plan for that when deciding on the size.

For the meat birds: provide food and water, a source of heat while they are young, and enough light for them to see in the daytime (windows or electric light). No need for nestboxes or perches, or even a run, because they do not mature enough to use those things effectively. But do make sure the space is easy to clean. They will eat and drink a lot, and they will poop a lot, because this is how they grow so big so fast.

For both groups, make sure there is enough ventilation. Of course you don't want the wind whipping through, but air does still need to move in and out. In addition to the more usual styles of ventilation (like windows), maybe you can choose one side of the meat birds' pen that faces away from the prevailing wind, and cover it with hardware cloth instead of solid material. That would provide nice ventilation for the Cornish Cross in summer, and also for the layers when they use the space as a "run" in winter.

Thank you! I live in the UP of Michigan..cold, snow from Nov through April. Temps in winter average 10 celcius but can easily get to -10 or more in late Feb and March as skies tend to be clear at night then. (Awesome northern lights). I plan on insulating the roof with foam board and deeper layers of bedding. Winter is my biggest concern because it gets windy as my house and all outbuildings sit on a bluff, so that means drifts and increased wind chill effect, which can get to -30 at the extreme.

You'll need to read this excellent article on cold-weather chicken-keeping: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

As a southerner I haven't much to say in re: severe winter conditions except that this is one of those situations where you're likely to want more than the usual recommended space and that a lot of BYC members in severe winter areas have roofed runs and put plastic on the windward walls during the winter so that the chickens can get outside.

Ventilation is just as important in cold weather as in hot weather because it carries away the moisture that would otherwise freeze onto the birds' combs and cause frostbite. :)

...I plan on insulating the roof with foam board...
Insulating a building that is not heated is a waste of time and money. The inside of the coop will be the same absolute temperature as the outside.

... increased wind chill effect, which can get to -30 at the extreme.
Let's unpack this statement:
  1. "Wind chill" matters only if one (or one's chickens) is standing in the wind.
  2. Chickens will not survive if they are kept in a drafty (feathers move) cold location even at temperatures above -30 F or C.

Last edited:
I like the idea of dividing the coop.

I suggest you only raise the Cornish Cross in the summer months. Since you'll be butchering them at about 8 weeks old, there's no need to keep them through the winter at all.

And then the layers can use the entire space in the winter, when they cannot go outside in a run.

The usual advice for space:
--4 square feet per adult hen in the coop (sleeping, egg laying, safe from predators, used all year long and in all weather.)
--10 square feet per adult hen in the run (daytime only, usually not as predator-proof as the coop.)
--2 or more square feet per Cornish Cross in their area

So you would provide at least 24 square feet of space for the 6 layers, for their coop.
And build a run at least 60 square feet for the layers to use in the summer.
Plus at least 60 square feet for the meaties to use in the summer, and that's also the right size for the layers to use as an alternate "run" in the winter.

For the layers: provide nestboxes for the eggs, roosts to sleep on, food and water, and some source of light (windows or electric light.) Some of those things take up floor space, so plan for that when deciding on the size.

For the meat birds: provide food and water, a source of heat while they are young, and enough light for them to see in the daytime (windows or electric light). No need for nestboxes or perches, or even a run, because they do not mature enough to use those things effectively. But do make sure the space is easy to clean. They will eat and drink a lot, and they will poop a lot, because this is how they grow so big so fast.

For both groups, make sure there is enough ventilation. Of course you don't want the wind whipping through, but air does still need to move in and out. In addition to the more usual styles of ventilation (like windows), maybe you can choose one side of the meat birds' pen that faces away from the prevailing wind, and cover it with hardware cloth instead of solid material. That would provide nice ventilation for the Cornish Cross in summer, and also for the layers when they use the space as a "run" in winter.
Thank you so much. Very solid advice.

Back
Top Bottom