combs & wattles question

I think it is just really breed dependent. The wyandottes just start early, but in comparison, the males are more prominent earlier on than the females. In the second week, the other chicks were trying to pull the wattles off the wyandottes. My rock pullet had wattle "nubbins" at 3-4 wks, but at 8 weeks really hadn't progressed too much. My RIR roo (avatar) was suspiciously roo in the first week, but by the 3rd week the only thing keeping me from pronouncing him a roo was my denial. Some hens and roos break the "rules" with wattles and combs and this is why pics are so useful, so that we can see the entire bird - comb, wattle, feathers, legs - and decide what sex they are.

Heres a roo at almost 7 wks to compare

images

Check out this thread for comparison

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/296153/black-australorp-roo

Hi, I was able to get some more pic's of my chicks. I hope you can tell me off the comb and all that is these are roo's or pullets.

This is a EE I think and around 6 -7 weeks

I think this one is a EE also since nobody knows what breed it is. also around 6-7 weeks

I have 2 Cochen Frizzles. Blacl and a white one. Bought both from seperate breeder. Both have Red combs and waddles. Both developed these around 6 weeks. Are they Roos??

kearstin17 -

Your gold EE is kind of difficult because it doesn't share many EE traits like the pea comb or greenish legs. I'm leaning towards pullet on that one because it seems pretty uniform in color a nd the comb/wattles haven't developed much yet. Watch for bright red patches coming out on its shoulders and wattles.

Your white/black one looks like a tetra tint pullet except she doesn't have the typical single comb. She is definitely a she though.

Last edited:
I have 2 Cochen Frizzles. Blacl and a white one. Bought both from seperate breeder. Both have Red combs and waddles. Both developed these around 6 weeks. Are they Roos??
You should post pictures of your frizzles for sexing. I would start your own thread instead of posting on someone else's though
smile.png

i am sorry if this is a very stupid question but i am very very new at this chicken raising.. please tell me what a wattle is? i have cinnamon queens that are 2 months old and i am trying to tell if i have a male in the mix.. i got them from a hatchery and i know the chance is very small but it would be my luck as i live in the city limits and that is not allowed.. any one that can educate me is greatly appreciated. thank you

i am sorry if this is a very stupid question but i am very very new at this chicken raising.. please tell me what a wattle is? i have cinnamon queens that are 2 months old and i am trying to tell if i have a male in the mix.. i got them from a hatchery and i know the chance is very small but it would be my luck as i live in the city limits and that is not allowed.. any one that can educate me is greatly appreciated. thank you  

Wattles are fleshy bits under the chin, I do believe that breed is sex linked with yellow males and red females.

Back
Top Bottom