combs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by schmism, Oct 24, 2007.

1. schmism

schmism Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    Peoria IL
    SO my 2 girls are near on 5 months old..... (we got them in toward the end of july at ~6 weeks) still no eggs

but the question is on there combs.... they are still tinny little stegasorous on the top of there head. they dont seem to have gotten any larger in the past 6-8 weeks

How long does it take them to get there full size comb? does this represent about the same time they start laying?

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Mine took 6 to 7 months to start laying. Generally they don't meet full maturity until that time. Sometimes you'll get one that starts earlier, but it's not to be expected.

3. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

My girls are about 6 mos and still no eggs. And their combs and waddles are just coming in. Does it make a difference what breed they are? Mine are a mix with some Ameracauna and who knows what. Can't wait for the eggs to start arriving.[​IMG]

Colleen

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I don't know if breed matters, but the ones of mine that have started laying are Barred Rocks. I have some RIRs and Dark Cornish that haven't started laying yet.

5. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Glad to see that mine arent the only ones to not lay a egg. I have been thinking about sticking them up to a air compresser. Put it in their mouth and see if I can blow a egg out their butt. the only reason for not doing this is I am afraid I will only end up with chicken balloons.

6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    each breed and each chicken will start laying at different times, My leghorns started a good 2 months before my austrollops, and first leghorn started about 3 weeks before others. I guess it depends amount of time for body to mature to laying size. When comb reddens and will seem to grow overnight they are close to laying.

7. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought that the growth of the combs might be a sign of maturity. I've got my fingers crossed cause the combs are a grow'n. I've noticed a big difference in this last week.

I think I'll forego on the air compressor , though that was a great idea Alleyoops25![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by