comfortable temps for ADULT quail

When it gets into the high 90s I provide ice bottles for my coturnix to lean against. Last year I lost 3 due to heat when it reached 114.
That's terrible! I'm sorry about that... It's currently reaching about 90/95 temps, and they have a fan, a wallow, and ice water.

Is this comfort though or is it just barely making it?

I run a fan and give them ice blocks if it's over 90. Max temp last year was 104, no problem.
I have a grow out pen in my garage for 6-8+ week old birds, it got up to 90 in there for the last hatch and they were perfectly fine with it.
I'm starting to be able to reach a ballpark guess for comfortable temps in this thread thanks to all this input.

Peeking at my quail when they're out there they seem fine and other than pink noses (quail version of blushing/flushed face) and just peck around, but the minute I go out there they all rush at me like desperate maniacs and start panting away.

Many prey animals will hide their pain/discomfort if they don't feel safe, so I'm not sure how much of it is them letting their true feelings show now that the cavalry has arrived or just hamming it up to get back inside. They could very well just be super excited to see me and hoping for snacks, since they pant when they get excited as well. 🤔

I never stop learning new things about these quail, even though I've had them for going on 10 years now, I still feel like a noob!

Update! I got the temperatures down below 80 in their outdoor area! I'll bring them inside if it gets close to 90, and keep them with a fan and ice blocks. They love the fan. I used those reflective foil blankets to create a shade against the sun where it shines during the hottest part of the day, and it's helped lower the enclosure by 20 degrees

Back
Top Bottom