Commander Toggles

Today, I got 6 of these critters for Toggles to eat. I will take him through a sequence of feed types / sizes to show how it impacts his approach and vocalizations when feeding. First, we will do regular meal worms, then medium sized Dubia Roaches and finally adult Dubia Roaches as shown below.

I'll also record his contact call he makes when I'm in another room talking and his is looking for me. All I have to do is talk before he belts out a "here I am"!
17DF56EA-7462-43C5-8772-EEC4AD6CEBF7.jpeg

Last edited:
coccidiosis cured 1 hour sulfa( bactrim) crush 1 pill in small amount water small tiny dish.dip chicks beak gently ,not too deeply,4-5 times,Then dip few time plain water.
once again next day.won’t return better in an hour.used many time.

What a wonderful post to start my day! Hurray for tough little Toggles and for you, taking such incredible care of that boy!

Many people seem to believe that a single house chicken cannot have a happy life. I am not one of those people. My Dottie (long story why) has lived in my house for four years this month. She is healthy, happy and safe.

Here's to a long and happy friendship between you and Toggles! BTW, the pictured chickens are lovely.
This post made me happy too! So happy for your Dottie too! ❤️

I found a bantam chicken with coccidia and a fractured leg in the woods in January, helped her and she now lives in my condo with me. I love this little bird more than anything!

Toggle was released to hang with his mother after a two week separation. They still recognized each other by voice. The got into three short fights where she one each time. Then she held here head down to listen to him talk like a rooster bonding to young chicks. Toggles and his mom are now foraging together using contact calls rather the clucking and cheeping.
E3FBC9F1-4A10-4392-9CCD-EE1E768F8767.jpeg

I brought Toggles back into house to keep him out of rain.

Look at check marks on tail feathers from when he was down with coccidiocis.
0C7227A6-8A71-479A-B977-C7068BC39DA4.jpeg

There are no similar marks on his wing feathers I can see.

He is getting extremely buddy buddy with me where he perches on my shoulder to preen and sleep. For the record chickens fart, and they fart a lot!

Last edited:
I brought Toggles back into house to keep him out of rain.

Look at check marks on tail feathers from when he was down with coccidiocis.View attachment 3671189

There are no similar marks on his wing feathers I can see.

He is getting extremely buddy buddy with me were perches on my shoulder to preen and sleep. For the record chickens fart, and the fart a lot!
Those are stress bars which generally indicate a stressor (in this case probably the coccidia) at the time of feather development and growth.

Back
Top Bottom