Commercial Blacks- Info and Pics! 2nd UPDATE..2 week

This is the forth week of having the commercial blacks. They have a very curious personality. When I walk into the coop and run they greet me. They don't like to be touched but they do not run from me. Their favorite thing seems to be earwigs.
sickbyc.gif
Apparently they are no longer mine as my hubby has claimed them as his. O'well I have 6 more little feather babies and 2 polish on the way. Should be here any day now.
celebrate.gif

They were sold to me as Barred Rock straight run. Got them home and realized two of them with the brown around their eyes didn't look like a typical barred rock. So after calls to the Southern States I got them from and the hatchery that supplied them, that's when I knew what the two with the brown around their eyes were...Commercial Blacks. I figured I had 2 cb's and 4 br's because the other four looked exactly like barred rocks. Now I know all of them are cb's...based on the feather pattern and the fact that one or two of them have brown and/or green tint to their feathers.

I took some pics today of some of them...they were free ranging with the big chicks for an hour before dark. They will be 9 weeks old tomorrow.

The little feather butts are 7 weeks old now. Im starting to think that one might be a roo, the darker one. Its comb and wattles are starting to turn really red, its larger than the other and has a completely different stance, and not to mention its a bully. But all that said it may very well be a pullet. Only time will tell.

Last edited:
My CB's are 16 weeks old. Although they are friendly and sweet, the two that had the brown around their eyes kinda creep me out. I don't like the way they look at all. I'm also worried that one of the 6 may be a roo...it's comb and wattles are big, unlike the other 5.

My CB's are 16 weeks old. Although they are friendly and sweet, the two that had the brown around their eyes kinda creep me out. I don't like the way they look at all. I'm also worried that one of the 6 may be a roo...it's comb and wattles are big, unlike the other 5.

Is this the one you think is a rooster?

Ok, she is definitely not a roo! I got my first egg ever this morning...and it didn't come from one of my 2 older BR pullets (21 weeks tomorrow), but from the "possible roo" in question! My CB's will be 17 weeks old tomorrow, and the one with the big comb and wattles laid her first egg!!!

Back
Top Bottom