Commercial Chicken Handling

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ARose4Heaven, Jan 11, 2011.

1. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    I ran across this article,

http://www.newstime.co.za/Lifestyle/Poultry_Processor_Defends_Chicken_Reworking_Procedures/17190/

And wondered what others thought about this. I am so VERY glad that I started raising my own chickens. Things like this make me VERY suspicious of all my store-bought food!

I worry for people in large cities that do not have the option of digging up the backyard and growing their own. I fear that as time goes on, we will see more and more illnesses that link directly back to contaminated and mis-handled foodstuffs.

2. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    It is scary to think about what they put in food these days. I read somewhere a while ago, that some companies have started putting addictive chemicals in the food so people will come back for more. It might be just this huge conspiracy, but overall, there are a lot of bad chemicals in store bought food, and one theory about having a more obese population is because of this reason.

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Of course obesity couldn't be caused by a lifestyle without exercise, potato chips and pop. We jump straight to the conclusion that additives in meat are what's causing the obesity rate to climb.

"Brine" is only a salt injection that helps to tenderize the meat and help to keep it fresher for longer (especially when being sold in the "fresh" state instead of frozen state). The chlorine bath is no different than us jumping into a swimming pool. It cleans the carcass of airborne pathogens as well as any pathogens that could have been gathered along the processing line.

Now, as for making a new expiration date...I'm not too sure I can understand that method.

4. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    It's saddening to see the one comment on the page, the person said and I quote "no more chicken for me". It's so upsetting to know that because of the article someone has decided they don't want to eat chicken anymore...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by