Commercial water heater

Mikee1948

Songster
8 Years
May 19, 2011
I have one of those commercial heaters that Tractor Supply sells for heating waterers. I've always put it inside the coop but would like to use it outside instead, It may be exposed to rain or snow at times and -15 wind chills. Possible? Thanks!

I have one of those commercial heaters that Tractor Supply sells for heating waterers. I've always put it inside the coop but would like to use it outside instead, It may be exposed to rain or snow at times and -15 wind chills. Possible? Thanks!

I would be concerned if the unit is sitting in water (you know water and electricity don't mix well), but as long as you put it on a platform that is raised and drains well, I think it should be fine. If you are afraid of possible problems, use a GFCI somewhere in the circuit, though if it trips, your water will freeze, potentially damaging the heater.

It's hard to be more specific without a picture of the model you are referring to.

That should work, I would be concerned about water reaching the electrical connections under the pan, so it would probably be best to put it on a board or several cinder blocks that don't leave any exposed areas on the underside.

It seems like this is a pretty inefficient way of heating a water bowl. I use bowls like this: http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/farm-innovators-round-heated-pet-bowl-6-qt
This is only 60 watt and I think it will do a much better job than a 60w bulb in the metal pan type heater you have. Of course it's cheaper to use what you already have. Maybe this would be a good Christmas gift !

There's no bulb in the one I use, it's a heating element enclosed. In that other one (pet bowl), I'm afraid the birds will walk in it and I'll be constantly refilling it.

Last edited:
Not really,as the run is covered and I'll have it up on blocks. My only concern is that I used to put it inside the coop (it's only 4x4) and was therefore a bit warmer, which saved on electricity. I could envision it running 24/7 some weeks outside.

Back
Top Bottom