Common Causes of Infertility?

BantamLover21

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 24, 2013
Wyandottes7 and I purchased a pair of Bald Head Show Rollers in March of this year. Both were hatched in 2016, so they're nearly two years old now. The male and female got along great almost immediately. Both also appear very healthy from the outside.

They laid two eggs about ten days after purchase; unfortunately, they were disturbed when we moved them to their permanent quarters and abandoned the eggs. About ten days later, the hen laid two more eggs in a reasonably-built nest. We waited until Day 18, then candled the eggs. Neither was fertile. We started giving some poultry vitamins in the water and plucked some feathers from around the vent of each bird, in case there was a "mechanical" reason for their infertility. The hen and cock chose a different nesting spot, made another nest, and gave us another clutch of two eggs. Again, no fertility. The pair, especially the male, have been very unhappy about their nests and eggs getting destroyed.

From doing some reading, it sounds like there can be many causes of fertility: improper antibiotic usage, diet, heavy tail feathering, disease, etc. I'm guessing we accidentally bought birds (at least the male) that have been ill in the past or perhaps overdosed with medication? The diet we're giving them may not be perfect (oyster shell, bird seed, and gamebird feed, about 20% protein), but combined with extra vitamins, it seems like it should be enough. I wish the pair could "raise a family," but am content for now with just having them.

I would love, however, if others could share possible reasons their pigeons have been infertile and any solutions that have worked.

Sorry about your unfortunate fertility issue. Sounds like you have already done anything I would suggest with the tail feathers and good food. As you say, one or the other may be infertile for some unknown reason, maybe even a virus. I'm glad you like them for pets, pigeons are such fun.:D

@jak2002003 might have some thoughts on this.

Well, it seems like I lost hope too early. Just candled the two eggs they're currently sitting on and both are fertile! Maybe the vitamins finally helped or they were just waiting for warmer weather...who knows? Fingers crossed for squabs around June 7th!

Back
Top Bottom