Common duck behavior?

cmart009

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 13, 2010
Northern Indiana
I have three Pekins (two female, one male), two Rouen (both girls), a very young Muscovy, and a silver Magpie (male).

I was curious on the behavior that my Pekins and Rouen show me. My Pekin drake is extremely tame; He isn't afraid of people at all. Whenever he sees me, he comes running and starts nibbling on my fingers, arms, feet, whatever. He especially loves toes. However, I'd like to know what it means by his head shaking (vibrations, basically), and him trying to worm his head up my arm. Is it a sign of dominance? Also, if I pick him up, he tries to mate with me by grabbing one hand, and going to town on my leg. The same applies to one of my females; She's comfortable enough that she won't run away when I go by her, but she doesn't like being picked up. If I set her on my lap, she tries the same thing: Grabs my hand in her beak, and tries to mate with my leg, or so I can tell. My other female, however, turns to face me whenever I get near her, lets forth a bunch of "Happy" peeps (or so we call them), and sits down with her wings somewhat out. I pet her on her back, and she assumes the regular mating position. Is this a sign of submission, or does she see me as her mate?

My Rouens are the same as my one female; When I get near, they open up their beaks like they're angry. They also shake their heads, and try to worm their way up my arms. However, if I get close enough, they stand perfectly still, and allow me to pet them...somewhat. They won't run, but they don't seem to enjoy it, either. Is there any way to make them friendlier? Also, I can feed the Rouens by hand if I'm right by them. Any help on all of my ducks behavior would be appreciated.

They see you as a member of the flock...and yes...they are trying to be the boss of you.

DUcks are not exactly cuddly as a rule, but it sounds like you are doing well. Eating out of your hand shows trust.

Back
Top Bottom