Common Horse Colorings?

Pics
Are the different horse breeds actually like different shapes or could I use the same bases and just do colors
Said bases
(sorry that they're sideways) (also sorry the first one only has one eye)
View attachment 2511369
View attachment 2511370
Not only are there different colored horses, but you also have different body types, or styles, and sizes. Usually different breeds have different body types.

Working horses, or Draft horses, are very large and strong, with big feet and legs.

Quarter horses are very muscular, especially in their hind quarters.

Racing horses, or Thoroughbreds, are tall, and more slender.

Some Gaited horses, usually the ones with unnatural or artificial gaits, look different because of their stance and sometimes their flowing manes and tails. They are the very flashy and showy horses.

Ponies are smaller, compact horses. Welsh, Hackney and Shetland are a couple of types.

Differences in horse head shapes are generally seen more in their profile than straight on.

As you can see horses are much more than just color.

Ok guys, what are some common horse breeds? Can we pick like 3? Are there any that the drawings I posted a page or so back would work for? I also have one of a clydesdale.

Ok guys, what are some common horse breeds? Can we pick like 3? Are there any that the drawings I posted a page or so back would work for? I also have one of a clydesdale.
I think you could get away with 3 different body styles, possibly 4.

To keep me from using an actual breed name in place of a group of horses, I’m gonna switch to three different terms: coldblood, warmblood, and hotblood. These haven’t been used so far, so I hope I don’t confuse you more. Just think that all horse BREEDS fit in ONE of these three categories. It’s kind of like, but not exactly, Bantams and Large Fowl.

COLDBLOOD — these are your Work (or Draft) Horses, the large horses with a heavier structure, and huge, broad feet, like your Clydesdale. Generally a very calm horse.

HOTBLOOD — these are your “fast and flighty” horses, the thinner race horses like the Thoroughbred. Arabians are also Hotbloods.

WARMBLOOD — these horses are a combination of the Hot and Coldbloods. They have the best traits of both. The Warmblood has the muscular build of the Coldbloods and the speed of the Hotbloods. This group would include your Quarter Horses, Paints, Tennessee Walking Horses.

Pony — this could be your 4th body type, a smaller version of the Warmblood would be perfect. Shetlands and Welches are both ponies.

This graphic shows three different body builds in each type. Maybe you can use the Average build as your model.
DB0F198D-B065-4C7C-8498-166474A3C240.png

[Maybe these next two graphics will help you with some of the things that were mentioned by others earlier.]

This describes the particular COLORS of some popular breeds.
1997DEDE-BB4E-4E89-B96B-AA3ECD158128.gif

Someone mentioned the coloring on the legs earlier. I call the color, stockings. Some horses have them and some don’t. But if a customer mentions their horse has a star with a stocking on their left back leg, you will know what they mean and what you should draw. They will need to specify how tall the “stocking” is. (I’m not sure how many will actually use the terms mid cannon, half pastern, crown or coronet. Maybe they’re more used than I’m aware of.)
32D24427-E5BD-4421-8924-0EFC1CCD771E.jpeg

I have 6 horses, but I don’t have a good variant of colors. I have one Bay and the other 5 are Sorrels. Three are actually Paints, but not your typical Paint. They each have just enough of white patches to qualify them as a Paint in the APHA registry.

I hope this helps a little bit more. I wish you much success with your artistic abilities!

I think you could get away with 3 different body styles, possibly 4.

To keep me from using an actual breed name in place of a group of horses, I’m gonna switch to three different terms: coldblood, warmblood, and hotblood. These haven’t been used so far, so I hope I don’t confuse you more. Just think that all horse BREEDS fit in ONE of these three categories. It’s kind of like, but not exactly, Bantams and Large Fowl.

COLDBLOOD — these are your Work (or Draft) Horses, the large horses with a heavier structure, and huge, broad feet, like your Clydesdale. Generally a very calm horse.

HOTBLOOD — these are your “fast and flighty” horses, the thinner race horses like the Thoroughbred. Arabians are also Hotbloods.

WARMBLOOD — these horses are a combination of the Hot and Coldbloods. They have the best traits of both. The Warmblood has the muscular build of the Coldbloods and the speed of the Hotbloods. This group would include your Quarter Horses, Paints, Tennessee Walking Horses.

Pony — this could be your 4th body type, a smaller version of the Warmblood would be perfect. Shetlands and Welches are both ponies.

This graphic shows three different body builds in each type. Maybe you can use the Average build as your model.
View attachment 2512634

[Maybe these next two graphics will help you with some of the things that were mentioned by others earlier.]

This describes the particular COLORS of some popular breeds.View attachment 2512636

Someone mentioned the coloring on the legs earlier. I call the color, stockings. Some horses have them and some don’t. But if a customer mentions their horse has a star with a stocking on their left back leg, you will know what they mean and what you should draw. They will need to specify how tall the “stocking” is. (I’m not sure how many will actually use the terms mid cannon, half pastern, crown or coronet. Maybe they’re more used than I’m aware of.)View attachment 2512635

I have 6 horses, but I don’t have a good variant of colors. I have one Bay and the other 5 are Sorrels. Three are actually Paints, but not your typical Paint. They each have just enough of white patches to qualify them as a Paint in the APHA registry.

I hope this helps a little bit more. I wish you much success with your artistic abilities!
This is so incredibly helpful, thank you so much!

Sorrel and Chestnut are the same color. Western riders call them sorrel and everyone else calls them chestnut.

No, Paint would only cover 1 color breed. The paint. As Paint is a breed it cannot be used for other breeds. You may mean pinto but you said Paint.
I just meant as in drawing a a horse that has multiple colors. I've just noticed when ppl come to look at my horses, whenever they see a horse that is multiple colors they say "look at the paint!" I didn't know how by the book she wanted😁

Back
Top Bottom