Common household foods to feed neighbour's chickens

bokbokking

Hatching
Dec 26, 2018
Hi there chicken experts!

I just joined your site to ask a question. A neighbour of mine has free-ranging backyard chickens. There's some bush between our properties so I don't actually know this neighbour, but I regularly hear their chickens in the bushes and the neighbouring property.

Anyway today, twice, (and for the first time ever) we've found a chicken of theirs wandering around on our property heading towards the road. So we intercepted and took the chicken to the neighbour's house but it looked like no-one was home and that they've possibly gone away for a few days.

Could it be that they've not left enough food for the chickens and hence the chickens are starting to wander afar to find food? Are there any common household foods that we can throw into the neighbour's property for the chickens to eat to keep them happy until their owners return?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I would ask first and always.
Might be a good way to meet your neighbors. If you don’t mind the chickens or in fact enjoy the chickens then let them know.
Even though they free range some people are very particular about what is fed to their animals. Ask them what they feed then ask if you could feed them.
Who knows? Ya just might make a friend or at least get some mighty tasty eggs. Best wishes

I would ask first and always.
Might be a good way to meet your neighbors. If you don’t mind the chickens or in fact enjoy the chickens then let them know.
Even though they free range some people are very particular about what is fed to their animals. Ask them what they feed then ask if you could feed them.
Who knows? Ya just might make a friend or at least get some mighty tasty eggs. Best wishes

I really don't mind the chickens visiting us, its just that its the first time ever they have wandered onto our property and it was heading towards the road.

As I said, the neighbour isn't at home and it looks like they've gone away for a few days maybe. So I can't ask them...

I was concerned about the chickens and whether they actually have enough food at the moment. That's the only reason I was thinking of feeding them.

It always irritated me when my neighbors would throw random stuff to my chickens without asking me first-- oftentimes it was bread, which really isn't that good for them.

The chickens will be fine for a few days, even if they do not have food. Sounds like they are foraging their own food.

I see.
Shallow pans of water is very important. (Not too deep)For foods you may already have canned corn,oatmeal,lettuce or any leafy greens,leftovers as long as they are not soured or moldy. Cooked rice. No no’s I would suggest googling any foods before giving it to them.
Remember water please.

Also be careful the chickens don't realize you are a food dispenser, both you and the owners will have a terrible problem keeping them in their own yard afterwards.

Honestly, I wouldn't do it. Sounds like it will cause more problems than it solves.

Welcome To BYC :welcome

I very much agree that you should ask if you can feed the chickens.
If no one is home, leave a note on the door for them to call you so you can discuss the matter.

Chickens if not kept fenced in, will wander at will. Just because they were heading for the road does not mean that they are not being fed.

It's always possible the owner is not responsible and is not providing feed, but unless you ask, you will never know. I'm not being rude, but are you able to see where the chickens are housed? A lot of people have large feed containers that hold food, it may even be inside the coop if that's they way they are kept.

Personally, I would not like for someone else to be throwing out food for my chickens. But then again, I would not want my chickens roaming on someone else's property either without permission.

Sounds like you and the neighbor need to sit down over coffee, toast and eggs and come to some sort of arrangement.

Back
Top Bottom