Common Loon

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by protodon, Nov 17, 2009.

1. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    Does anyone know if it is possible to raise Common Loons? There is definitely no where to purchase them so I am guessing it is illegal. I enjoy their call and it would be nice to have them in the backyard. Much easier than moving to some northern lake property.

2. dragonchick

dragonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    IF there are some in your area you could put out their prefered food. This would bring them to your yard at least. As far as owning/raising them, no idea.

3. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Loons are aquatic birds that feed on fish, amphibians, crustaceans, etc

So unless your backyard looks like this:

[​IMG]

You will not attract these:

[​IMG]

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:Now look around you on this board. That should answer your question. Easy. Very easy.

.....Alan {laughing}

5. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    I'm fairly certain it is illegal to raise them; they are superb swimmers and amazing divers, and I can't imagine they could be happy in a backyard. But are there any wildlife rehab facilities near you? It's possilbe they might treat some each year, maybe you could volunteer to help nurse them back to health.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  6. HippieChickens

HippieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Quote:Yes, they're federally protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, but what a great suggestion to help with rehab! [​IMG]

A lot of loons need long-term care to recover from lead poisoning, so this would be a great way to get to know these magnificent birds and help them at the same time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by